Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

First Herpetology Class Field trip

Lamb

Reaction score
This year, I'm taking small groups from my university's Herpetology class out on day trips to find sallies, among other critters. Today was the first trip with 3 of the students from class. We spent our time in Jackson Co., MS, searching a handful of small, first order, ravine-type streams that flowed directly in to a large floodplain of a high order tributary.

Our efforts turned up many Eurycea cirrigera larvae, including very recent Eurycea hatchlings that look like they would be E. cirrigera (first and second photos), and a couple adults of the same species. We also caught many, plainly patterned Desmognathus (third photo), as well as a few more brightly colored larvae (fourth photo). Side note - the Desmognathus adults from this sampling locality are always much more dully colored than those I find at central MS sites. Even better yet, we caught 5 larval Pseudotriton, including a very small larvae that, based on the what I've found at this site, I'm assuming is P. ruber vioscai (fifth and sixth photos). These Pseudotriton larvae traveled back to the lab with us, and will be raised through metamorphosis for one of my studies.

Attachments

• Eurycea hatchling 09 Ward Bayou Jackson Co MS 20130216_102.jpg
    Eurycea hatchling 09 Ward Bayou Jackson Co MS 20130216_102.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 459
  • Eurycea hatchling 09 Ward Bayou Jackson Co MS 20130216_108.jpg
    Eurycea hatchling 09 Ward Bayou Jackson Co MS 20130216_108.jpg
    80.5 KB · Views: 332
  • Desmog TC#70 09SP Ward Bayou Jackson Co MS  20130216_51.jpg
    Desmog TC#70 09SP Ward Bayou Jackson Co MS 20130216_51.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 360
  • Desmog TC#61 07SP Ward Bayou Jackson Co MS 20130216_09.jpg
    Desmog TC#61 07SP Ward Bayou Jackson Co MS 20130216_09.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 310
  • P.rub PR13 011 Ward Bayou Jackson Co MS 20130216_61.jpg
    P.rub PR13 011 Ward Bayou Jackson Co MS 20130216_61.jpg
    77.5 KB · Views: 281
  • P.rub PR13 011 Ward Bayou Jackson Co MS 20130216_55.jpg
    P.rub PR13 011 Ward Bayou Jackson Co MS 20130216_55.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 290

Lamb

Reaction score
As well as many slimy salamanders (P. mississippi, which look like they were made from the night sky.

Attachments

• P.mississippi Ward Bayou Jackson Co 20130216_03.jpg
    P.mississippi Ward Bayou Jackson Co 20130216_03.jpg
    134.5 KB · Views: 974

jaster

Reaction score
That is a really pretty slimy. Reminds me of the Tellico salamander. Those larvae are young! Interested to see how they develop.

How big is your class? We had about 30 students split in two lab groups which would go out once a week. Awesome stuff.

Lamb

Reaction score
That is a really pretty slimy. Reminds me of the Tellico salamander. Those larvae are young! Interested to see how they develop.

How big is your class? We had about 30 students split in two lab groups which would go out once a week. Awesome stuff.

Wow, Telico salamanders look really cool. I sometimes wish we had more Plethodon in the southern half of the state.

The class (and lab) has 22 students in it, which I think is the most we've had enrolled at one time. Prior to this year, the classes always went out in one large group, and this is our first year splitting them up in to such small groups. They'll still go on a handfull of outings as a large group. I just didn't want 22 students tromping through some of these seepage sites all at once. There is a lot of hog damage in the area, and I don't want to add to that. Seeing how small the Eurycea hatchlings were, and knowing that they were only under a few leaves and didn't move quickly, made me wonder how many we might have already been stepping on.

newtkidontheblock

Reaction score
if you dont mind me asking what university do you go to. Because after high school i would like the mayjor in herpatology/biology and take some teaching classes.Because if i hope fully get a job at my middle school.. i will get to have unlimited pets in the class room so i will have like 5-6 50 gallon tanks with orientalis and a.tigurarium and others maybe some anderson and if the kids are like me i love saring at my teachers vergitatian pirranah an in te other tank native minnesota fish....anyway what university do u go to and like there can u major in herpatology or is it biology i should go for?

Lamb

Reaction score
if you dont mind me asking what university do you go to. Because after high school i would like the mayjor in herpatology/biology and take some teaching classes.Because if i hope fully get a job at my middle school.. i will get to have unlimited pets in the class room so i will have like 5-6 50 gallon tanks with orientalis and a.tigurarium and others maybe some anderson and if the kids are like me i love saring at my teachers vergitatian pirranah an in te other tank native minnesota fish....anyway what university do u go to and like there can u major in herpatology or is it biology i should go for?

Your typing was a little difficult to understand, but I think I got the gist of it. There aren't many, or maybe any (?), universities that offer a major in herpetology. But there are many with strong herpetology research labs and good biology/ecology programs, so that's what you should look for. I majored in biology, with an emphasis in environmental biology (more organismal and ecology classes). My PhD will be in ecology. Your best bet is to visit universities and look at the course lists for the majors you are interested in.

hld

Reaction score
I also am TAing for a herpetology class and we had our first field trip today. In coastal SC we've had a lot of rain, and we ended up seeing a great diversity today which was excellent for the students. We mostly checked minnow traps set by myself and the professor the previous day.

Today's catch:
2 Siren lacertina
6 Notopthalamus viridescens louisianensis
1 juvenile Lithobates grylio
1 Lithobates sphenocephalus
Several Acris gryllus gryllus
1 adult Ambystoma talpoideum
1 paedomorphic adult Ambystoma talpoideum with gorgous gills!
1 Agkistrodon piscivorus
1 Plestiodon inexpectatus

I didn't have time to take many decent photos whilst managing 15 students, but I've attached a few thumbnails.

All in all a gorgeous day! My fave find were the Sirens (my first experience with Sirenia as I'm from Indiana originally).

Cheers,

Hannah

Attachments

• IMG_2263.JPG
    IMG_2263.JPG
    92 KB · Views: 277
  • IMG_2269.JPG
    IMG_2269.JPG
    93.3 KB · Views: 292
  • IMG_2290.JPG
    IMG_2290.JPG
    194.2 KB · Views: 283
  • IMG_2297.JPG
    IMG_2297.JPG
    86.1 KB · Views: 262
  • IMG_2293.JPG
    IMG_2293.JPG
    132 KB · Views: 445
  • IMG_2289.JPG
    IMG_2289.JPG
    106.8 KB · Views: 258
  • IMG_2272.JPG
    IMG_2272.JPG
    86.1 KB · Views: 262
  • IMG_2301.JPG
    IMG_2301.JPG
    166.8 KB · Views: 259
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1