First larva to morph!

louise

Reaction score
Country
Scotland
Display Name
Louise Selfridge
My first hongkongensis larva morphed today, totally unexpectedly. It is not the largest of the larvae I have. I also noticed a couple of shed skins in the larvaes' water this morning-would the morphing one have shed in preparation, or is this normal for all larvae?

I have put him in a tub with damp paper towel and a couple of live bloodworms for now. Any other advice?

Attachments

• Project 012.jpg
    Project 012.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 296
  • Project 013.jpg
    Project 013.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 413
  • Project 017.jpg
    Project 017.jpg
    159.6 KB · Views: 256
Congrats, Louise! They do begin shedding at around the time of metamorphosis, but I don't think you can say for sure which one(s) left the skins you noticed.

I have limited experience with raising Paramesotriton morphs, but from what I hear, they generally do best raised terrestrial. Have you thought about a terrarium setup?

Thanks Jennifer! I have been following Rigsby's advice with the setup, and it seems to be working out well so far. I am aware he may take a few days before he begins to eat.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back