First of Five I. a apuanus juvies in their new set up.

otolith

Reaction score
Country
United States
Nice to see them doing so well! Those 5 are getting an early start. Some of their siblings that I held onto still have full gills and larval coloration.

Chinadog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Country
England
Looks like they are maturing nicely, maybe you'll have eggs next breeding season. :)

stanleyc

Reaction score
Country
United States
They sure are. I've got 2 sure males, and 2 sure females, the last one, which is the one in the last picture I think is a male. That picture is actually from maybe a week or two ago. Since then, its cloaca has gotten a tad bit more prominent and the orange stripe on its back seems to have become a bit raised. Not sure, especially because its color doesn't seem to match the other two males, but if I'm right I've got my ideal 3:2 M:F ratio!

otolith

Reaction score
Country
United States
They are really coming along! Its great to see updates like these. I ended up keeping 4 siblings of your group's and they are all still gilled and absolutely huge. I am thinking they may end up being neotenic.

stanleyc

Reaction score
Country
United States
Would love to see them. How big are they? Are they developing adult coloration?

stanleyc

Reaction score
Country
United States
One of the females is laying eggs now. Super small compared to the hypselotriton eggs I'm used to, not sure if that's species specific or just because this female is so young. Whether they turn out to be viable or not, happy to see it.

Attachments

Chinadog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Country
England
They're beautiful! My female is huge and the males are just starting to crest up. I love this species, they're so easy to keep and you really can't beat the males in the breeding season for eye popping colours!

stanleyc

Reaction score
Country
United States
They're beautiful! My female is huge and the males are just starting to crest up. I love this species, they're so easy to keep and you really can't beat the males in the breeding season for eye popping colours!
Would love to see how yours are looking this year. In your experience, do they change much in appearance after the first year?

That male on top has been courting the females almost nonstop since around January. He maybe took a break for a couple weeks. Now that this other brownish male is maturing, I feel sorry for the females, they're so relentless.

nateb

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
nateb
At least you've seen the eggs. My apuanas are laying for the second time in the past 4 months and I still haven't actually seen the eggs. A few of the eggs hatched and now the larvae are close to metamorphosing and at the same time I just found a few new little larvae in with the parents. These really are a fun species to keep. I've had them for a little less than a year, but it has been great watching the changes and growth in that time.

matamander

Reaction score
Country
United States
I've been a voyeur on this post, just wanted to say I've been enjoying the progression of these guys and all of your updates!

stanleyc

Reaction score
Country
United States
I've been a voyeur on this post, just wanted to say I've been enjoying the progression of these guys and all of your updates!
Thank you. They took a rest from regular courting behavior about 2 months ago but seem to be starting up again for this season already. I will post some more pictures when they're fully crested up again. Hopefully I'll get viable eggs this year.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Mark.H:
    Great! I'll use some of those too. Thanks for the help. :)
    +1
    Unlike
  • Tinky:
    So everywhere talks about testing your water parameters but I can't find what to do it there aren't right?! Like too low not too high, anybody any ideas?
    +1
    Unlike
  • jnerdx:
    It’s very dry in Colorado. I make sure to spritz every night so while I’m sleeping. I have a nifty hydrometer that I got from Walmart. It tells me blue, green, red; too little humid, good, too much respectively. It’s been helpful to me.
    +1
    Unlike
  • jnerdx:
    It tells me temperature AND humidity.
    +1
    Unlike
  • MVM1991:
    Where'd you get that? Or is it just a combo from petsmart or something?
    +1
    Unlike
  • jnerdx:
    I’m pretty sure I got it at a Walmart.
    +1
    Unlike
  • jnerdx:
    I just looked it up to see if I can find it again. It’s actually a hyGROmeter and temperature. Which measures the dew point. Here is the difference between due point and humidity. https://www.weather.gov/arx/why_dewpoint_vs_humidityYou can calculate Th relative
    +1
    Unlike
  • jnerdx:
    the relative humidity using the dew point measurement.
    +1
    Unlike
  • jnerdx:
    Here is the product I purchased:
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
  • jnerdx:
    +1
    Unlike
  • jnerdx:
    it has a stand. And I had a spare suction from my filter. So it’s on the wall of my Sal’s enclosure.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
  • jnerdx:
    That’s a pic of it in the enclosure.
    +1
    Unlike
  • MVM1991:
    Nice! Also, from what I can see you have an amazing setup! What species?
    +1
    Unlike
  • jnerdx:
    S. S. Gigliolli
    +1
    Unlike
  • MVM1991:
    Ooo nice!
    +1
    Unlike
  • jnerdx:
    Thank you! I tried to share the video but unsuccessful. You can see it on my IG story @jnerdx
    +1
    Unlike
  • MVM1991:
    Cool! I just have a tiger and a long tail, who we are trying to find as he ESCAPED INTO MY ROOM!
    +2
    Unlike
  • LauraLobster:
    Hey y'all, recently my juvenile axolotl's tail has been floating and can swim down but his tail lifts to an angle and I believe that it is stressing him out. He gets in between his plants to balance himself and I am cleaning out the bottom of the tank with my baster. I believe I overfed him and he also may have eaten many air bubbles. He's been like this for nearly 1 1/2 days.
    +1
    Unlike
  • LauraLobster:
    What would be the best thing to do ?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    Redear has joined the room.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Mark.H:
    Hey, does anyone know if hot glue is fine to glue rocks together?
    +1
    Unlike
  • MVM1991:
    Should be. Hot glue is good when dry I believe, just don't let it get too hot and you should be good. Most super glues are good as well just watch out for flume warnings
    +2
    Unlike
  • Mark.H:
    Ok, thanks! I am going to glue together the shale I mentioned.
    +1
    Unlike
    Mark.H: Ok, thanks! I am going to glue together the shale I mentioned. +1