Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

First Salamandra Tank

bmac217

Reaction score
First attempt at a fire salamander tank. Trying the bioactive approach with a temperate forest flair. Rimless 17 gallon and LED strip light with hydroton base layer, topped with ABG mix. Added springtails and a few isopods, which seem to be proliferating well. Might add a few more isopods shortly. Pillow moss for the ground cover in the front and terrestrial baby’s tears for the top part with a couple fern varieties and some ivy. The first three pics are about 4 months in, while the last was taken recently right after misting (hence the blurriness). I’ve added a polycarbonate lid that covers all but a 6”x6” cutout where the branches protrude. Temps are steady in the mid-to-high 60s F. I was hoping they would use the cave in the front for hiding but so far they seem to prefer to remain partially hidden under the “tree”, and will come out when nightcrawler pieces are dropped in.
D37E9852-3FBF-47B1-BBEF-35ECFA292E0A.jpeg
AA141EF6-5328-4D02-AD4A-CAEDF9C4FEFB.jpeg
014866BB-224F-44DF-92B5-49459AA7397B.jpeg
CA9780B6-E337-401D-83D0-21089CF82EC4.jpeg

MnGuy

Reaction score
Beautiful tank. I'd be careful about how tightly the lid fits around the protruding driftwood portion. Newts and salamanders have a way of finding the smallest escape routes and are much better climbers than expected.

voidwalker

Reaction score
This is absolutely beautiful! What sort of wood do you use, and do you have any recommendations? I'm about to build my own tank <3

bmac217

Reaction score
This is absolutely beautiful! What sort of wood do you use, and do you have any recommendations? I'm about to build my own tank <3
Thank you for kind words. Honestly I’m not 100% sure on the wood. I’ve had the three pieces I used (gel super-glued together) for years just sitting in storage. I’m not an expert on wood compatibility/safety but I swore there were some resources on here on the best varieties. Now that I’m looking though I can’t find them of course.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!