First time laying eggs.. Only laid a few

Scarleey

Reaction score
Country
United States
So I've raised my 4 newts from 3 months old. My one female has started laying eggs the past 2 days... Shes only laid 15-20. Is this normal for a first lay?
Also if a leutistic mates with a wild caught what will the babies be?

What kind of newt? I'm guessing ribbed newt. Sometimes they lay big bunches of eggs and sometimes they only lay a few. If the wild type is het for leucistic half of the babies will be leucistic and half will be wild type (het for leucistic). If the wild type is not het for leucistic all of the offspring will be wild type (het for leucistic).

Yes ribbed newt. Thank you for the genetic information, thats exactly what I was looking for.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back