Question: First time of raising Aquatic Life

Loveaxolotl

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi ,everyone, This is the first time going to do Aquarium. And i am ganna raise the Axolotl. And my Tank will be 50Gallon(36x24x12 inches) What is the max quantity of axolotl can fit in this tank?

I don't have any experience on Aquarium. I will appreciate it if somebody can solve my questions.

I have the electric pump and a external filter.
Whar else do i need? The winter is comming, do i need a heater for axolotl?
My apartment apply heat for winter, i am not sure if the temperture will be too high or just good enough for axolotl. I do the research that the best tempture for axolotl is 16 °C and 18 °C (60-64 °F). Do i need to buy any kit like a tempture maintainer(not sure the name?) How do you you guys cool the tempture if it was too high?, i just did not know how to maintaine the tempture.

By the way, i am living in New York. Any tempture problem?

still looking for a way to get axolotl, unsold locally,whole black color young axel and purple color one, raising from young to adult is fun

Another big problem,i just find out that it is neccssary to do some "bio recycling " in order to active the water??????? Do i need to leave the tank water running for a week before i put my axololt in?( i have read on how to recycling the water) Or i can just put my axolt in let it do the bio recycling for me?

I think this are the questions i have worried so far, thankful to people can give me the nice suggestion.

Last edited:
firstly welcome to the wonderful world of axies.

I think you can only fit 1 fully grown axie in a tank that size.
I dont know about the filter but if it is a canister filter you shouldnt need a pump...i dont think you need a pump for any filter
There is no need for a heater the cooler the better.....I have no idea how hot NY gets but the only way to maintain the right temp is to buy a chiller....they cost an arm and a leg so start saving;). They are well worth the money tho
Have a look around on this site cause you might be able to find someone selling some.
As for cycling the tank.....I cycled my tank with my axie in. You will have to test the tank for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate daily and then daily water changes of around 20%.
Dont forget to post a picture of your tank and your new friend when you get him/her.:D

Only one? The length is above 90 CM.
I saw some people raise 2 on the 30+Gallon tank.
And how do you test those ammonia, nitrite and nitrate

yea I'd say you're good for a max of 3 in a tank that size. Get a liquid drip test kit, not the strip's you dip in the water, those are inaccurate. Keep ammonia below .5 ppm's, nitrite below 3 ppm's, and nitrate below 40 ppm's. Do some research on the nitrogen cycle

If you use the space right you can have 5 in a 50 gallon tank. I had 5 just fine and have 4 in my 45 gallon tank now (my 5th axie got sick from the heat after moving from PA to GA and didn't make it)

You don't need a heater for axolotls. If you need to cool it down in the summer, get 2 liter bottles like for soda, fill them with water, freeze them, and put them in the tank as needed. I live in GA and I have kept mine cool this way :)

Cycles happen no matter what. If you want to start the cycle now, set your tank up and drop some food in to "rot". That will get the nitrogen cycle going (do some reading on that)
If you want to wait, you can cycle with the axolotls in the tank . You just need to keep up on water changes so ammonia doesn't get too high.

You don't necessarily NEED a filter but it does help. I don't have a filter on my tank. Just keep up with water changes and poop scooping.

And one more important thing..do not use gravel or other small rocks/beads/etc!. Use sand or keep a bare bottom.

um...My bad I read the length at 36 cms long.......sorry....seeing as you are new to the axie world I would start with 2 in a 3ft tank. You will end up with more as they are very addictive critters

Last edited:
By the way ,the meassure of the tank is 90cmlenth, 60cmtall and 30 width 45Gallon
It still can hold for 3 axolotl ,right:)?
i have doing many research on axolotl these days, and i knew that sand is best for axolotl.
But i just wonder what sand is good, i like the white color sand which i see a lot in the video on youtube,it was beautiful what kind sand is that?

I just learn that the pump is used to transfer the water to the filter and cycle out the water to tank..
And the pump is really uselessful axolotl? Does it create strong current?

Can you list out the name of the equipment of Axolotl.

Now i am still wonder if i just bought 3axolotl or 2

i am thinking that if i bought too many and i did not raise seccssfully , it is bad.

But i think i will increase the number to 3 as long as i enjoy raising these creatures.
and i found out that introduce new axolotl takes time to quanmtine(spell check..)??, and i did not have extra tank for that.. Or is ok just put the new axolotl into it as long as it is healthy because it comes from the petstore?

That's good for 3 axolotls. I have 4 in a 45 gallon
Ok I mentioned the sand because too many people muck up and end up with all kinds of problems from gravel.

Use sand that will not buffer PH. So just regular white sand is good. Read the packaging carefully!

You would have to actually set the filters up to see how the current is.

For axolotls you MUST have
tank
hides
food
water
water conditioner

That's it. Sand is optional, filter is optional, same with light and lid (keep water level a little lower if you dont have a lid)
OH and you should have a way to test water.

Pet shop animals are almost always unhealthy so you should quarantine any new ones you add to the tank after you already have some living in the tank.

And please try to use the search and look at this site http://www.axolotl.org/

If i have filter ,which mean i can do less frequent water change right?
And for water conditioner, what brand do you recommend

And how do you change water? Add conditioner on the water before pour it into tank?

or directly add tap water into tank then add conditoner?
Wha is the proportion of conditioner and Gallons water?

and Don't i need a aquatic thermometer?

If i have filter ,which mean i can do less frequent water change right?-no
And for water conditioner, what brand do you recommend-Prime (petco and petsmart have them)

And how do you change water? Add conditioner on the water before pour it into tank?-yes or add the water to the tank then add conditioner

or directly add tap water into tank then add conditoner?
Wha is the proportion of conditioner and Gallons water?-read the label

and Don't i need a aquatic thermometer?-ahh yes that is pretty handy to have

what is the frequency of changing water per week

it really depends on your nitrates, but a moderatly stocked tank should get at least a 25% waterchange a week. If your nitrates get above 40 ppm's in a week you may need to do more. The goal is to keep nitrates under 40 ppm's, so as long as your nitrates don't accumulate over 40 in one week, a 25% waterchange per week is usually a good schedule.
I'd also highly suggest cycling the tank before adding the axolotls to limit the number of waterchanges you will need to do right off the bat

I bought a whole set of aquarium in the craglist, it has everything. And this have run for 2years.
i think it has been cycling well. But i am not sure, if i change the original substrate into sand(original gravel)
and i may remove some rockse from the tank, and dO my own decoration. And plan some easy raised aquatic plant

I think i still need to do recycling right?

Check to see if ammonia gets converted to nitrate, you"ll also need to feed the beneficial bacteria. My guess is the tank no longer holds bb, but I could be wrong

i have question , do i cycle the tank with the substrate on it
or i can cycle it without the substrate and i can add the substrate it later( must be cleaned)

Another question, if i wash the substrate , do i need to add conditioner to the tap water to wash the substrate.

So, i just want to ask
is that ture that if i want to wash the axolotl's food( earthwarm, or substrate), do i need to add conditioner to water before i use it to wash?

I think it's always best to clean out a used tank and start fresh. Don't use the old water. Star a new fresh cycle.

By the way , i am going to buy several guffies in the tank for cycling,

i did not want to see my tank with empty things while it was located beside my computer desk :)
Sounds good, and how long did you think it took for 45Gallon to completely cycled?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back