First time with larvae--help!

aquaria

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello! This is my first post, so forgive anything dumb.

I've had axolotls for a while, so I'm pretty firm on caring for adults--however, all of mine I got at 3-4". Recently I bought some eggs from a nice person here, and the first few hatched today. I've done a lot of reading, but having lost about 50% of the eggs to a fungus accident (didn't know what to look for) I want to be really cautious about keeping the rest alive!

Right now the remaining eggs are in a large tank with light aeration. It's only been about six hours since the first handful hatched--how long should I wait before throwing out the rest? Right now I'm planning on 48 hours--is the hatching period longer than that? I've been removing the empty egg cases, but should I start doing water changes there too?

The ones that have hatched were moved to a large plastic bucket I've been cycling for about two weeks, filled with plants and a small sponge filter. We started hatching brine shrimp as soon as the first one hatched and are gonna start trying with that tomorrow. How often a day should they be fed? Could we relocate them to smaller containers to feed them so as to reduce waste water?

Sorry I have so many questions! Thanks in advance for your help! For your trouble, here's a picture of my only current adult axy, Phaeton, looking very contemplative:
aquaria-albums-my-axolotls-picture35479-axolotl.jpg

not so sure about axolotls, but I've raised chinese fire belly newt larvae. you seem very nervous about the water changes. i changed about 50% water daily, fed brine shrimp daily, and removed any empty egg cases when i saw them. a bucket should be fine, but you might want to separate later based on size to prevent cannibalism. Good Luck!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back