Fish with axolotl

Jennadenny

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Display Name
jenna
Hi everyone, just a quick question, everyone says not to put fish with an axolotl but nearly every video I see has fish in with them what is right fish or no fish??.

No fish. If the videos you are watching are on YouTube, you can trust that as much as a stranger calling you into a back alley. Caudata says no fish unless they are proper feeders that have been properly quarantined. Trust Caudata. There are plenty of threads on the appropriate answers to the fish question.

Ok thank you, I'm new to this site and still finding out how to find things sorry

Don't be sorry for asking a question, that is why we are here :D

The equation is simple

Axolotl + fish = someone is going to get nibbled or eaten. ;)

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1357553922.068133.jpg

The only fish that go into my axie tank are 'dinner' fish ;) I breed Endlers Guppies in a separate tank & then sacrifice some small fry - I only keep 6 in the tank max & they vary in size from newborn to juvenile - now my axies are bigger they're finally interested in them as lunch & nothing makes me happier than a guppy head count with 1 or 2 less :)

I'm 100% certain that the guppies do not think axie gills are worms & try to avoid going too close to them.

As for having a tank where you want the fish to stay alive & share a tank then that's not a good idea - I know it seems like a lot of free water in the tank & a fish would look great - but it's not a great idea - stick to axies (they're way better than fish ;) lol )& sacrificial live fish that are just axie snax :)

<3 >o_o< <3

If you want to feed live feeder fish about how many should you feed, how often should you feed them and what size? Thanks! also, is it a good addition to their diet to offer feeder fish?:happy:

I don't like the idea of fish due to the dangers it possesses, but I am interested in using fish to stimulate normal axolotl behavior - they must get bored if they get spoon fed every day ;). So I was thinking of keeping guppies or white cloud minnows in a separate tank, then add a couple at a time. I don't mean to use this to replace all food, but have that option there, as well as supplying earthworms. Does that seem reasonable? I just want what's best for my future babies!

I too am interested in what size they can be feed the above mentioned fish safely. I know the general rule is if they can fit them in the mouth, but I've never raised axies before... is that around 6"?

Fish are not normal to axolotls, as they would rarely chase something down as food. They much prefer soft, slow moving food.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back