Fishless cycle + not crashing down the line

profdumbledore

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi everyone!

I'm a school teacher who purchased an axolotl for a class pet. So far, she's been tubbed, but I'm prepping to get her tank cycled very soon! I've done quite a bit of research but I have two questions I can't seem to find the answer to.

First, I am planning to do a fishless cycle using Dr. Tim's bacteria and ammonia. I understand this process involves testing the water once daily, but I am unable to test the water over the weekends since my tank is in my classroom. If I check Friday before leaving and right away on Monday when I return, will I still be able to successfully cycle my tank? I'm a little paranoid about this only because the breeder I got my axolotl from gave me a cycled filter (hurray) but all the bacteria died as a result of keeping her tubbed for an "acclimation period". When I cycle the tank I don't want the bacteria to die over the weekends. Any tips or thoughts are appreciated!

Second, I'm thinking ahead for school breaks. The next major break is spring break where I won't be able to access the building for a total of 9 days. I'm going to take my axolotl home and keep her tubbed during that time, no biggie, but what can I do to make sure the cycle doesn't crash while we're away without a waste source? I believe the breeder mentioned using a larger tub and bringing the filter with me (using it in the tub), but I'm not quite sure.

Thank you in advance for your help/advice! Matilda is doing great, just wanting to plan ahead so she isn't without a tank for longer than necessary.

Hi,
Hi everyone!

I'm a school teacher who purchased an axolotl for a class pet. So far, she's been tubbed, but I'm prepping to get her tank cycled very soon! I've done quite a bit of research but I have two questions I can't seem to find the answer to.

First, I am planning to do a fishless cycle using Dr. Tim's bacteria and ammonia. I understand this process involves testing the water once daily, but I am unable to test the water over the weekends since my tank is in my classroom. If I check Friday before leaving and right away on Monday when I return, will I still be able to successfully cycle my tank?
First of all, you "cycle" the filter, not the tank.
And don't worry, the "cycle" (nitrification in fact) will set up even if you cannot make measures every day.

I'm a little paranoid about this only because the breeder I got my axolotl from gave me a cycled filter (hurray) but all the bacteria died as a result of keeping her tubbed for an "acclimation period". When I cycle the tank I don't want the bacteria to die over the weekends. Any tips or thoughts are appreciated!
To keep the filter bacteria alive, you must keep the filter working 24/24, 7/7.

Second, I'm thinking ahead for school breaks. The next major break is spring break where I won't be able to access the building for a total of 9 days. I'm going to take my axolotl home and keep her tubbed during that time, no biggie, but what can I do to make sure the cycle doesn't crash while we're away without a waste source? I believe the breeder mentioned using a larger tub and bringing the filter with me (using it in the tub), but I'm not quite sure.
9 days without eating is not a problem for an axolotl if the other conditions (water temperature and quality) are Ok.
A spring break may not be a problem, but the summer break...
Thank you in advance for your help/advice! Matilda is doing great, just wanting to plan ahead so she isn't without a tank for longer than necessary.

Hi,

And don't worry, the "cycle" (nitrification in fact) will set up even if you cannot make measures every day.

9 days without eating is not a problem for an axolotl if the other conditions (water temperature and quality) are Ok.
Hi! Thanks for the info. :)

I'm planning on tubbing Matilda during Spring Break (like I have been up until this point). The breeder I got her from recommended that as the easiest way to handle the shorter breaks without having to move the whole tank set up (although, if necessary, I will move the whole thing). I'm just worried that while she's at home with me (tubbed) that the cycle in the filter (at school) will die without her there producing waste/leaving food particles. My breeder had mentioned bringing the filter home and keeping Matilda tubbed in a big storage tub with the filter in it. I would imagine that means the bacteria living on the plants/sand/etc. in the tank would die but her filter would be okay. So then when I move her back to the tank after break, would we still be good to go?

I guess the short of it is should I go through the process of moving the entire tank over break to avoid crashing the cycle or is there a better way? I definitely won't leave her alone for 9 days.

Thanks again for the help!!

Hi! Thanks for the info. :)

I'm planning on tubbing Matilda during Spring Break (like I have been up until this point). The breeder I got her from recommended that as the easiest way to handle the shorter breaks without having to move the whole tank set up (although, if necessary, I will move the whole thing). I'm just worried that while she's at home with me (tubbed) that the cycle in the filter (at school) will die without her there producing waste/leaving food particles. My breeder had mentioned bringing the filter home and keeping Matilda tubbed in a big storage tub with the filter in it. I would imagine that means the bacteria living on the plants/sand/etc. in the tank would die but her filter would be okay. So then when I move her back to the tank after break, would we still be good to go?

I guess the short of it is should I go through the process of moving the entire tank over break to avoid crashing the cycle or is there a better way? I definitely won't leave her alone for 9 days.

Thanks again for the help!!
Hi,

Realizing I read your message wrong and you said 9 days ISN'T a problem 😜 So maybe the easiest thing to do to avoid that cycle crash would be to just leave her over break? That makes me a bit nervous but that could be cause I'm a newbie axolotl owner. :)

Thanks again.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back