Flappin gills bad ?

S

shane

my axies are always flappin their gills is this a bad thing ?
52773.jpg

flapping gill is an axolotls way of pushing old water away and bringing new water to there gills. its easier for them than having to move there entire body foward.

Shane,

Axolotls flap their gills to push away old water and replace it with oxygenated water. This is to save having to move around to get to better oxygenated water. It is a normal behaviour and nothing to worry about unless they do it excessively. This could mean there is not enough oxygen in the water and you should put in an airstone to correct this.

got an airstone in already just thought id ask coz u ppl seem 2 know more than me

Sorry about that. Must have been writing my response when Alex posted.

click edit profile which is in the top right hand corner sort of. and then go down to picture and upload your pic.

(Message edited by alex_axolotl on January 29, 2006)

do i need a chiller ? my water temps at 20c and can i make a chiller or do i buy one

20 is ok. if it goes above 24 then you should be worried. i highly doubt u will need a chiller though.

Usually the only people that really need a chiller are those in Australia. It rarely gets hot enough for long durations in the nothern US or in the UK to worry about it.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back