Floating, bloating, skin issues (and questions about a trip to the vet!)

Caudatacrab

Reaction score
Country
United States
Please let me know if there's any additional information that will be helpful.

I have a 3 year old female albino axolotl who has been healthy up until this point. Her tank (a 20 gallon stock tub, kept at around 18* and never higher than 20*) was fully cycled before she was put in it, she eats earthworms only, and has never had any other issues. This last week (Monday, July 27th) I went to feed her and she was completely uninterested in eating. She floats frequently in an un-concerning way, but when I stopped trying to feed her and watched her a bit and noticed she was leaning to one side and struggling to correct that. She also appeared slightly bloated. I continued to keep an eye on her and she continued to float to one side and at one point was floating with her tail up. I had been working long hours over the weekend so I wasn't home much, but I don't think the floating started until Monday. On Tuesday morning she was still leaning to one side so I set up a fridge (6.5* celcius) for her as it seemed like constipation. She has been in the fridge since Tuesday afternoon (when I could be sure water in the fridge held at the steady correct temperature for her). She still has yet to poop since entering the fridge, but her belly has become a more visible blue and it is also visible near her cloaca, so I have a feeling she'll poop soon.

However, I am worried there is something more going on than just constipation. Though it's clearing up while she's in the fridge, she also appears to have bumps on her skin that I can only describe as wart-like. They are the same colour as her skin and are raised, but do not appear to be fuzzy or fluffy. Her gills are looking a little smaller and paler since she has entered the fridge, but there is no white or fluffy growths on them either. None of that sounds like what I have heard fungus looks like, but I have also never dealt with fungus on an axolotl and cannot be sure. I will try to attach some pictures to show the growths, but it is hard to get a clear image since they're so small. They are visible in these images on her side near her front leg and on her hind leg. Also, on one foot her toe caps seem to have fallen off? She has black toe-tips on all of her feet, but now they are missing on one of them. Again, there doesn't seem to be fungus or red or anything like that, so I'm a bit stumped as to what is happening with her skin. This has happened since she was placed into the fridge.
IMG_5372 2.jpeg

She does not seem lethargic, stressed, or itchy. She is responsive when I check on her in the fridge and generally seems fine other than the float and what I can see as being a skin problem.

I believe the problem was caused by water parameters. My reading after moving her to the fridge and found the ammonia and pH had both spiked to 2 ppm and 8 respectively. Nitrites were 0 and nitrates were 5 ppm. I hadn't noticed but the roots of the plants in her tank had begun to rot (which I feel horrible about), and caused the ammonia to go up. I'm working on getting the parameters back in line while she enjoys her time in the fridge.

I have also (finally!) located a vet about 45 minutes from me who will see an axolotl, but they have told me there is no way to do a phone or video call consultation, she will have to be brought in to be treated.
So my questions are:
What could potentially be causing these issues? Does it seem like simply stress from poor water quality or an infection?
I do not want to put her through more stress if it will endanger her, so does this seem like a situation where she would benefit from a vet? Or am I best off leaving her in the fridge?
If we do go to the vet, how is the best way to transport her? I have taken her on car trips before much longer than this one when moving, but since she is in the fridge now should I warm her up to a higher temperature before taking her or try to cool a cooler enough to maintain the 6.5* temperature of her fridge?

Overall I am a very worried axolotl mom right now and though I know what needs to be donee about her tank I could use some advice on the best ways to move forward with treating her. Thank you all!

You have done all the right thing for her.

I would switch her food to a higher fat food for a awhile - like repashy grub pie or thawed raw salmon. The extra helps her move things through and the 1 exotic vet I talk with has said you can even add a bit of mineral oil or vaseline to the repashy when you make it to really help.

She doesn't appear to have signs of ascites from organ failure so thats awesome.

I'd just keep going as you are until she poops then out of the fridge but continue to tub until the tank is back cycled and happy.

If going to the vet
if you know how to bag properly thats the least stress and sloshing
otherwise a tub works and take a separate water sample from the tank and they sometimes recommend fresh dechlorinated water to go home in as poop generally happens on the way

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back