Floating, Feeding, and Feces

arsn9lea

Reaction score
Country
United States
My juvenile axolotl is about 4.5 inches (11.5 cm) long and has been living in a temporary tub until her permanent tank was cycled. (It is now cycled, but I don't want to switch her into a new and much bigger tank until the current issue ends.)

About two weeks ago, I switched her from blackworms to red wigglers. For the last several days, she has been floating at the top of the tub, hanging her legs and tail, just floating like a gator. I can push her to the bottom, but she only stays for a few seconds before floating right back up. She seems to be able to swim to the bottom if she wants to, but doesn't stay there.

She seems to be in no distress and remains super hungry. In fact, she was eating at least two red wigglers twice per day for a while and would have kept on eating more. I've tried to taper that back, since I assume she has some degree of constipation. She's albino (I think) and I can see a good amount of black down there. She has been pooping, though it's now been a couple of days. I've not fed her for two days in the hopes of it helping clear her out.

At her age, what is an appropriate eating amount/cycle and how often should a poo be expected? Is it fair to assume that the floating is due to constipation? Given that she has been passing poo, is the rest likely to pass? And I hear so much about fridging (for and against) - when she seems otherwise healthy, is it reasonable to just give it time?

I'd say start feeding her again and post a pic of her, my male comes to the top and floats around like a gater two, for long periods of time, and you could put her in the deep tank see what happens.😀also how old is she?

I gave her about half of a block of frozen bloodworms about an hour or so ago. She would have eaten a pound of them if I had let her.

Since the feeding, her floating has actually changed a bit. She has been floating lower in the water, instead of on top, and sometimes allowing her front to float more than the back. You can see that in these photos. In fact, these photos show some of her current positions, but not the floating on top of the water that was happening prior to the feeding.

Sorry for the poor photography - there should be a website about how to take pictures of critters moving in the water. While trying to take her picture, she kept "attacking" the surface of the water, which didn't make it easier. It did not look like she was gulping for air, but rather was reacting to the movement and trying to snap, like when she's feeding.

I'll also add that she did make a poo earlier today, though she was doing the top floating after that, but before the feeding.

Attachments

• IMG_20210128_192447358.jpg
    IMG_20210128_192447358.jpg
    335.6 KB · Views: 114
  • IMG_20210128_192611870.jpg
    IMG_20210128_192611870.jpg
    701.5 KB · Views: 77
  • IMG_20210128_192731602.jpg
    IMG_20210128_192731602.jpg
    252.6 KB · Views: 73
  • IMG_20210128_192743718.jpg
    IMG_20210128_192743718.jpg
    328 KB · Views: 74
It doesn't look like she's constipated but I think the floating is just cuz she's in a small container, but she is beautiful 😍 I do think she's albino😗

I’m having the same issue. Mine are five weeks old. Last week I introduced blood worms and they started to float. Two are swimming sideways and I’m also worried. One also only grew one back leg. I thought that was the problem. But now all five are floating. Two swim on their side. I really don’t know what to do. They also will eat non stop if I let them.

Attachments

• 2177D577-9D44-40A8-85F3-E19DE0312E1B.jpeg
    2177D577-9D44-40A8-85F3-E19DE0312E1B.jpeg
    561.8 KB · Views: 83
  • 53DE8247-D57E-4F6A-9B96-2E2857EE3B12.jpeg
    53DE8247-D57E-4F6A-9B96-2E2857EE3B12.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 77
  • 37EAF10F-AA19-4058-BC24-0EB552704778.jpeg
    37EAF10F-AA19-4058-BC24-0EB552704778.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 75
I'd say start feeding her again and post a pic of her, my male comes to the top and floats around like a gater two, for long periods of time, and you could put her in the deep tank see what happens.😀also how old is she?
I forgot to answer this before. I don't know her exact age, but I got her at the end of November and she was about 1.5" long, so I'm thinking she's maybe three months old or so.

That sounds about correct to me, but I've noticed mine and my sisters float two, so i think it's just a baby thing, but they all are beautiful!😍

She made her way into the big tank today. So far, she seems to be doing just fine staying the bottom when she chooses to, though I can still see a lot of poo in there! I'll try to share pics later.

You can use a turkey baster to suck out the poo, and I'm glad to hear she's not floating as much.

I should be clearer. The poo is inside of her body, not in the tank. :)

Hello there..
My melan also floating all the time, so far so good and nothing to be worried. Axy sometime like to floating too.. as long as the head is upward and the tail inside will be OK. They like to floating because of 2 things.. 1 is waiting for some food (mine is always like that when the feeding time is coming), the second one is curious abt wht happn on the surface... Axy health indicator is on the tail shape.. once your axy’s tail curled or become wavy you should be worried.. CMIIW

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back