Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Floating juvenile Axolotl with red spots on mouth

Farrafn

Reaction score
Hello to everyone, this is my first post on the forum and I hope that you can help me solve this issue.
On June 14th I found my Axolotl floating on the surface a little inclined to one side. He was unresponsive, I tried to gently touch him with a spoon but he seemed dead at first, then I touched him a little harder and he moved only a few cm away.
Then I noticed a white thing sticking out of his mouth, and I immediately started to worry he could have chocked on some food.
For this reason I moved him to a little bowl and tried to remove the object with a pair of tweezers.
I was successful at first but then another thing (this time red) was sticking out.
His diet is freezed Artemia Salina and chironomus, so I thought he could have chocked on both things one at a time.
Then I proceeded to put him in the fridge with little water just enough to let him breathe, making sure he could touch the ground.
Yesterday morning I took it out of the fridge and it seemed fine, he could swim to the ground and walk on the sand, but when I gave it some food apparently he did not eat. Anyway, thinking it would feed at night like he did on other occasions, I went to sleep.
This morning (half an hour ago) I found it on the surface again, balancing on its sides, with some red spots on his "lips". I fear it might be the same problem as the other day, but I'm worried about his fasting.
I forgot to mention he is a juvenile, I took him from some eggs that hatched from a friend of mine.
Should I seek help from a vet or is there anything else I can try?

Thank you so much.

P.s. first two images were taken two days ago. The gray thing circled in white (from my spen) is the object sticking out that I removed.
Third image is the Axolotl apparently "fine" but he refuses to eat. In the fourth image you can see the red spots yesterday night, and in the final one you can see the red spot this morning.
20210615_000457.jpg
20210615_000202.jpg
20210615_235629.jpg
20210616_013527.jpg
20210616_081141.jpg

Farrafn

Reaction score
Update:
He was floating upside down and I took a picture of his belly... There is a black spot inside of him, here is the photo:
20210616_085518.jpg

AMurry24537

Reaction score
Update:
He was floating upside down and I took a picture of his belly... There is a black spot inside of him, here is the photo:
View attachment 88856
One thing that I'm noticing is that the gravel in one of those pictures is probably a bit too big for him at the moment. Once he's an adult, he might be big enough to be able to swallow that gravel and have it pass through his system without a problem, but for now, it may be causing an impaction, which might be the cause of the dark spot and possibly even the red spots.

I also noticed that there appears to be something that appears to be algae-like? I'm wondering what your tank parameters are like, including the lighting situation, temperature, ph, ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates. The proper environment for axolotls should not generally leave you with algae, so something might need to be changed.

All that being said, some of the things you mentioned are pretty concerning. I would really recommend finding an exotic vet who can diagnose and treat axolotls.

Please let us know everything you can and hopefully we can get this figured out for your little guy!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1