Floating Plants

CapnClive

New member
Joined
Jul 7, 2014
Messages
34
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
Ohio
Country
United States
I'm looking to get floating plants and I was wondering about what people prefer. I'm thinking either frogbit or water lettuce. I considered duckweed but it seems alittle small for my liking. Also what about water hyacinth? I'd just like to know your guys opinion and experiences before I decide! Also if you guys know if any good place to get the plants listed I would be interested in those.
Thanks!
 
I started with duckweed and it was a great nitrate sponge but it does get messy. Water hyacinth is great since my lotls love hanging in the roots. Just make sure to pull off any rotting leaves
 
yes, water lettuce will grow quickly under normal aquarium lighting and also soaks up nitrates well. Water hyacinth is more demanding and needs quite bright conditions, it also grows quite tall so you need to give it room above the water line meaning the volume of water in the tank has to be reduced. Frogbit is a good choice because it has all the benefits of duckweed, but its nowhere near as messy.
 
Salvinia species are great too.
Frogbit LOVE low flow environments.
Avoid duckweed if you can due to its mess, but if you get some no big deal.
 
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!
    Back
    Top