Floating upsidedown

T Nicole

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Hello I know there are threads about this but nothing recent and I wanted to try and get some help with my specific situation. My axolotl (Miss Vangie) is floating upsidedown. I thought they'd be dead by now, it's been over a month, but they're still alive and I'm just wondering if it's a slow death or if there's anything at all I can do. (I'm referring to one axie as 'they' since I don't know the sex. They're baby so I don't know if they even have one yet).

Here's the facts and photos:

Water tested fine. I got the axie in the summer and cycled before hand, never any issues there.

Temp is 15 C steady

Snails came in on plants from the pet store. Plants died before the axie was ever introduced but the snails remain. I scoop/suck as many out as I can when I do water changes...but they're a nuisance. I wish I had gotten rid of them before the axie was put in.

No other fish or axies in tank. 20 gal (I know I will need bigger when they grow but let's see if they live that long...)

No sand or rocks, only moss balls, freshwater-safe wood and a ceramic tunnel.

Fridged them for 2 weeks. They seemed to be getting better so I introduced them back into the tank. NOT better! Floating completely upsidedown. I don't know what healthy insides are really supposed to look like but after fridging I noticed a couple things that I didn't before: something black in the centre and a lot of bubbles (visible in photos).

Still eating and moving around

Note: this axie looks very bloated to me, BUT when I got them I picked them because they were so cute and fat. So if this axie is bloated, it's been bloated since I got them from the fish store. I didn't think anything of it when I purchased, but now obviously I'm wondering how long this problem has been going on.

Thanks so much in advance.

Attachments

• IMG_20201228_114056.jpg
    IMG_20201228_114056.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 159
  • IMG_20201228_114107.jpg
    IMG_20201228_114107.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 110
Last edited:
That is extremely bloated or severe ascites from organ failure.

How old is the baby in that picture as it looks very small for the age as well.

It's not very old I only got it a few months ago but not sure how old it was at that time

I have 6 and 7 mth old babies that are all about 6-8 inches long - they should be approx 1" per month of age until about 6 ish months when things can slow down.

If this baby were in my care I would put it down. Its clearly suffering and likely won't recover.

How do I put it down and what would have caused this?

Cause - likely inbreeding or breeding practices where lineage health isnt even considered. Many issues are genetic.

There are many methods and many opinions on each.

Taking to a vet

Tubbed in smallest tub with water just to cover them. Vodka to knock them out and then clove oil to over anesthetize which works the same as other animals.

Harder to do but faster is blunt force trauma.

Never ever use freezer method its cruel.

Im so sorry

I am very sorry too...so sad. Thanks for your advice.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back