Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Fluorescent earthworms.

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
I bought worms yesterday from the usual place and right now i was doing the feeding rounds for my critters. When i opened the worm box i noticed the worms were looking unusually greenish and when i grabbed one with the tweezers what used to be yellow exudate, was now bright green stuff. Then i cut one and put it on the water to rinse and Bam! A bloody explossion of fluorescence like in some kind of peyote inspired dream.
The container i use for rinsing the worms is now a soup of fluorescence, it´s quite surreal.
Anyone else found that their bait shop supplier has turned to selling these?

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I've seen them for sale in the US. Beh. It appears that the "fad" has subsided, I haven't seen any recently. We can hope it was just a bad idea that will stop.

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
I do hope so, it feels like you are feeding the newts the inside of a marker....it´s hideous.

Elliriyanna

Reaction score
I think they were mostly used to lure fish ... When it didn't work they switched back. This is my guess anyway.

onetwentysix

Reaction score
We had a problem with those at work once. My boss buys the worms and crickets and things to feed the animals, and we noticed one day that the water was a florescent green color. Turns out he'd bought a package of the dyed worms but the worms hadn't really appeared to be any different outwardly, and one of the worms had been sitting in the firebelly toad water dish. It didn't kill or seem to bother them, but it can hardly be healthy - we made sure he didn't buy those any more.

sde

Reaction score
I have found some similar worms under rocks by my house. we don't use pesticides or weed killers, but a few years back our land-lord prayed some weed killer, so I guess it could be that that's what made them that color, but I am not sure. And the ones that I have found are only florescent in some spots.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!