Food for a mandarin salamander

cat_lady

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Display Name
Shonagh
Is there anything that isn't a small creepy crawly? Reason I'm asking is because I literally dig food up for Abe from my garden and currently there's about 5" of snow making it a little unlikely I'll find anything.

Not really wanting to buy a whole tub of anything as most of them die before Abe gets round to eating them.

Anyone got any ideas?

You're looking for some type of pellet aren't you? Their caresheet doesn't indicate any type of acceptable pellet.

Why not purchase a few crickets from the petshop? Maybe frozen bloodworms would work in a pinch. Earth worms keep for a really long time in the fridge too. I've kept a few dozen crickets alive for weeks with daily feeding and cleaning of their container.

Sharon

Try a local fishing tackle shop, for tubs of worms (£2.40 for 50'ish) or maggots.

In addition to feeding sections of earthworms as well as the usual feeder insects, I feed my shanjing sections of fresh shrimp and pre-soaked reptomin sticks offered by forceps in order to add variety. I do not know if reptomin (tetra brand) is available in the UK but in general my caudates really go for it.
Chip

Thanks guys. I didn't know I could keep earthworms in the fridge. The local petshop won't sell "a few crickets" and crickets always seem to die on me despite cleaning and feeding of them!

Wax worms and mealworms can be kept in the fridge too. mealworms last longer but I really dislike crushing their heads or cutting them off. BLECH. The best I've gotten out of wax worms has been 2 weeks before they turn brown.

I have idea if I'm doing something wrong - lol maybe I should go read the live foods forum....

Sharon

Waxworms, butterworms and earthworms are the way to go. :)

He does really like earthworms - do you reckon I'll be able to find some in this weather? Oh, you mean from the bait shop - they only have large worms and I hate cutting them up.

Depending on the size of the worms and the size of your newt, he may slurp a worm down like spaghetti. But cutting up worms is the necessary, dark side to salamander owning. In the interests of my animals, I forced myself, and am glad I did.

Actually, I've never had need to. We get some pretty titchy worms in our back garden and on the one occasion I bought worms from a tackle shop and cut them up (which was a necessity as I couldn't find one) he refused to eat it!

I've managed to find some in the garden - I just have to dig a lot deeper than usual due to the cold! Oh, and he does kind of slurp them too!

Thanks for answering, Dawn. :)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back