Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Food for red spotted newt

Tobiascole

Reaction score
I want to know what fish would be best for my water area in my newt paludarium. It holds about 6-7 gallons of water. Thank you.;)

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
They are unlikely to eat any fish.

Vern5384

Reaction score
Well, it would need to be something small that can tolerate cooler water. Maybe mosquito fish? And even then only a few of them at one time.

Boomsloth

Reaction score
They may not eat them but least killifish are pretty cool and small enough to be eaten. I have a little tank with them and they breed pretty regularly although not as much as your typical live bearer

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

chezr

Reaction score
I agree with Jennewt but I have had some eat least killifish (Heterandria formosa). It might be hard to maintain healthy water parameters with only 6-7 gallons of water, bust least killifish are one of the smallest species of fish in the North America and probably don't make too much bio-waste. I still don't think I'd recommend it, but it's probably your best option if you really want to try.

Chinadog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Red spotted newts are notoriously fragile as pets. They seem to suffer from all kinds of problems like fungal and bacterial diseases, or even just drop dead for no visible reason. While it might not be the exact cause of death, stress will certainly not help them fight off these problems and adapt successfully to captivity. Forcing them to share a small tank with any kind of fish will stress them greatly.
There are plenty of suitable foods for them like earthworms, live Blackworms or aquatic invertibrates and insect larvae. To give them any chance of long term survival I would recommend moving them to a planted tank with at least ten gallons of water. Try and feed them a diet based on earthworms with any of the other things I mentioned for variety and they will at least have a chance of surviving.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!