Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Food to get thin animals eating

froggy

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Hi all

I recently acquired a reasonably large group (9) of Salamandra salamandra salamandra juveniles. Unfortunetely, when they arrived a number were looking pretty thin. Six have started eating crickets and earthworms are are starting to turn a corner, but three seem to be refusing food. These are also the thinnest animals - the angle at the back of the jaw and the pelvic bones are visible. They have so far shown now interest in crickets or chopped earthworm. I have them separated and housed on damp paper towels with moss and a hide. They seem to be settling down a bit now with less pacing. I don't want to put them into a naturalistic setup yet as I don't think they will be able to find food easily. Are there any other food types, or any other treatment, that might arouse an interest in eating? Unfortunately, they are too small for waxworms and I don't have access to a culture at the moment (making a new one would take too long to produce now, anyway).

Thanks

C

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
If i still had Achroia i´d send you a culture :S
Try looking for someone who has them, they are substantially smaller than Galleria but equally as good at getting a salamander´s attention.
If you still have woodlice i´d give them a try...you never know...
Tiny slugs might also work, although if they are not going for earthworms, everything else seems unlikely.

otolith

Reaction score
I had this problem with a Salamandra juvenile in the past but it didn't end well. Knowing what I do now I would have approached it differently. I know you are hesitant but I would suggest a separate, small naturalistic setup with lots of live foods and only one or two hides for the smaller individuals. With only a few hides you can leave pieces of cut earthworm, or other slower moving prey like spikes, slugs and waxworms at the "entrance". Try feeding in the evening or in low light. I used this method recently with a T. marmoratus juvenile that was not interested in food and after a few weeks it is now actively feeding whenever I open the lid of the enclosure. Good luck, hope you can get your little ones to eat.

froggy

Site Contributor
Reaction score
A quick update:

Of the three animals, the least skinny one recovered very quickly. The smallest one died within a couple of days. I think the chronic starvation combined with being shipped with a heatpack was too much. The third animal is still alive and living in my wine cooler at 16C. It is still on paper towels, but I have added some large dead leaves and a bit more moss. This way I didn't have to disturb it too much. It is very flighty, but has started to eat again very occasioanlly. It is still very thin, but has definitely stopped losing weight. Eva has kindly offered some Achroia, which should hopefully kick start its appetite again.

I contacted the shop about this - we had discussed not using a heatpack in the transit box and I found it weird that all the animals were great apart from the three very thin ones. The owner was very apologetic and angry with his staff for putting the heatpack in (in his words, it was lucky they weren't all dead, having got up to about 30C for a few hours) and for selling the three thin animals, which were not meant for sale. I have been offered replacement animals once they get more from the breeder. This was a very refreshing attitude from a pet shop - I had prepared all kinds of arguments and threats to use in the case of them not accepting responsibility!

C

Last edited:

Niels D

Reaction score
That's almost unbelievable. I've never had such an experience with a pet shop. How refreshing. I've had succes with feeding cut up waxies for animals which are too small for whole specimens. Call me a brute, but there's way more gruesome slaughtering going in our back yards.

Henry Janssen

Reaction score
Live red mosquito larvae spring to mind. They are small enough and will stay alive and wriggle for one or two days on moist paper towel. Could be worth a try.

froggy

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Hi Henry,

I will give those a go until the Achroia arrive.

Thanks for all the advice, everyone - it's never nice working with a species for the first time and having this happen!

C

taherman

Caudata.org Donor
Reaction score
Not sure about Salamandra, but many other salamanders find maggots irresistible. It seems to be related to their odor from the behaviors I have seen them elicit.

Tim

Kairus

Reaction score
A lot of the time with reptiles it's more about force feeding them when it gets to that point. If they haven't eaten in a long time they tend to kind of shut down.

Sianita

Reaction score
Before my sals were persuaded onto earthworms, I found that they loved little/baby woodlice that I just collected around my house and garden. Don't know if you've tried them yet but it's worth a try. Good luck :)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1