Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Footwear

JWERNER

Reaction score
HA HA^ Ive been bitten by brown water snakes, pinched by cray fish, a occasional leach, rocks fallen on my tippy toes, but in all its been fun. Wouldn't be half the adventure if it were any other way.:cool:

blckkeys

Reaction score
I have a pair of Chacos that I use when I am wadding/walking through creeks and streams herping and fly fishing. But recently somehting happend to me that I never thought would. I was coming onto shore to ehad back home, I pulled my right foot up to get the shells, gravel, and such out, and when I put my foot down an animal bone went into the side of my foot. Yeah... an animal bone. I think it was a broken shoulder blade from a raccon. It went in about 1/4 -1/2 inch. Not fun. I had to wash it out with some hand sanitizer (BURNS). Then peroxide at home. Now I know why native americans used bones for weapons and tools.

franceschino

Reaction score
I always use wellingtons when herping. You can go everywhere with them and you don't find leeches attached to your feet when you come out of the water!
This is a picture of me and my wellies in Calabria

Attachments

• P50302422.jpg
    P50302422.jpg
    339.1 KB · Views: 437

fishkeeper

Reaction score
I go with Ed on this one. Whatever old pair of running shoes/sneakers needs to be retired gets one last trip.

I have a pair of wading boots but they are now too small and the soles aren't much good for rocks.

falconlb45

Reaction score
dont want to revive an old post but:
it might seem a bit odd, but in a pinch i've used trash bags as waders (one per leg)
cheap, disposable, waterproof as long as you dont get caught on something
if your going to try it, get the ones with the strings built into the top, I never figured out a better way to keep them on

also, they go over your feet/cothing but not over your shoes- think mc hammer pants

John

Founder
Staff member
Reaction score
dont want to revive an old post but:
it might seem a bit odd, but in a pinch i've used trash bags as waders (one per leg)
cheap, disposable, waterproof as long as you dont get caught on something
if your going to try it, get the ones with the strings built into the top, I never figured out a better way to keep them on

also, they go over your feet/cothing but not over your shoes- think mc hammer pants

Interesting stuff. So you wear them inside the shoes?

falconlb45

Reaction score
Interesting stuff. So you wear them inside the shoes?

Yep, imagine them as giant plastic socks
bring a spare set of dry shoes, sacrifice one set to preserve happy dry feet

HAHA! I think I'd be laughed right out of the field if I went out with shoes over trash-bag waders.

I do have to say that it sounds like it would be a good idea in a pinch, but the visuals... hahah!

For those too young to remember the HammerPants craze: http://thumbnail.search.aolcdn.com/aais/EMI/media/mchammer/0094631039058.jpg
:ha::ha:
sometimes, inspiration is found in odd places :D

pierson_hill

Reaction score
Rubber soled SCUBA booties are hands down the best footwear -- they run about $35 at my local dive shop. I've used rubber boots, hip waders, chest waders, Teva sandals, Chaco sandals, old tennis shoes, and boots but none have compared. My only complaint is that sand can get lodged in the zipper if you don't wash them thoroughly after each use.

Ambcin-larv1.jpg

jrosenq

Ambystoma Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jungle Boots

I prefer military style jungle boots. They are lightweight and have a simple mechanism that allows for moisture to drain out. That feature is nice when you find yourself wading in deeper water/mud. They are some of the toughest and most durable boots you can get for a reasonable price. I use them because they drain fast and offer my feet protection from snakebite. The only problems with the boots that I have experienced are the need for a better insole, which can be easily managed, and irritation to the heels of my feet from rubbing on the inseam. I have found that wearing a thick pair of socks helps.

T

tylototriton

I figured I would chime in on this topic.
On my recent trip to Costa Rica we wore wellies (high rubber boots) the entire time. They were necessary because of the obvious, copious amounts of mud and water, and because venomous snakes were quite prevalent. This being said, although they were helpful, they still had their downsides. At one point a nearly foot long leech made its way into my boot and firmly attached itself there. I'm still not sure how that one arrived there, I think my instructor may have thrown it on me. Also, the biggest problem I had was the lack of mobility and support. Although my boots were tighter around the ankle so they had some support for hiking, they were still insufficient and I found myself in quite a bit of pain after the daily hikes. I prefer to wear Merrel Continuum, at least I think thats the name. They are sneakers with no lining, so they don't stay wet. Granted, you will have wet feet, but they dry quicker, and you don't sacrifice mobility. Anyway, I fall in so often that wearing tall boots just provides a large reservoir for the water to sit in.

Alex

John

Founder
Staff member
Reaction score
From what I've heard and seen, wellies aren't exactly immune to snake bites Alex?

T

tylototriton

No, I dont believe they are by any means. It was a school trip and we were required to wear loose pants and wellies. I'm not sure of the capability for wellies to stop a set of Fer de Lance fangs, but I would rather play it safe and wear the wellies than have them fully embedded in my leg. The thinking is that even if the pants and boots cannot stop you from being bitten, they can reduce the amount of envenomation because venomous snakes begin releasing venom on contact, so if they hit your pants or boots first then hopefully more of the venom would end up outside you then in.

Alex

lilsoul

Reaction score
I got bit by a cottonmouth through my boots loose pants and boots did not help me none I still spent 3 days in the hospitel

John

Founder
Staff member
Reaction score
I got bit by a cottonmouth through my boots loose pants and boots did not help me none I still spent 3 days in the hospitel
What kind of boots? Also, you got pretty lucky with a 3 days stay in hospital. Did they give you antivenin or Crofab or did they decide to let it get better on its own?

Personally I have a $1xx pair of Rocky snake boots and whilst I think they are big on style (not my thing). A guy I met one time used to wear the same "model" for ranch work in west-ish Texas and he ran into quite a few rattlesnakes and in some cases never even noticed they had struck.

lilsoul

Reaction score
I was lucky I only got hit with one tooth and they where jungel boots and they didn't know what for a snake bite I diden't get antivenom or crofab they just gave me Iv with vitamen c and made me drink lots of juice.The funny thing is that a hospital Louisiaa diden't know what to do they called poison control.

John

Founder
Staff member
Reaction score
James - I'm glad you were OK. Your account of what happened, frankly, and sadly, doesn't surprise me given the experience I've had at hospitals here and what I've heard regarding snake bite treatments. Antivenin and Crofab are expensive products, and there's a reasonable chance that if they did have it and used it that the victim would have an allergic reaction and die from the "cure". I would be very interested to know what the ratio is of public to private hospitals carrying these product.

Are you sure they were semi-clueless though? I only ask because generally they will monitor you and if you aren't deteriorating or exhibiting certain symptoms they'll often just help you ride it out, which sounds like what happened with you? If you do deteriorate and you needed antivenin/Crofab then they would have to move you (not a good idea) or airlift you to a facility that does have it. That's mucho $$$ which speaks to my question at the end of the first paragraph.

And while I think of it, what are jungle boots?

lilsoul

Reaction score
They were clueless they sent me home the frist night and told me to come back if started to fell bad the next morning it took my dad 3 hours to wake me up to bring me back and buy that time I was swoll up like a tick and my skin felt like it was on fire.Jungel boots are a type of army boot that are leather on the shoe part and thick canves up the ankel part.

flyangler18

Reaction score
I do a fair bit of fly fishing along with field herping, and hip waders have always been my best friend. For areas with slick algae-coated rocks, felt soles are absolutely crucial to keep you upright. :)

bewilderbeast

Reaction score
I generally wear a pair of goretex hiking boots... comfortable, good support, tough as nails and water proof. For wading I opt for either bare feet, or a pair of old Converse

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!