Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Footwear

SludgeMunkey

Reaction score
After I close call with a scorpion in the BLM area of Death Valley, I retired my Tevas for field herping use. 'Round these parts its Chuck Taylor's for dry areas, Redwing brand work boots model #6682 for general Herping (steel toe makes the snapping turtles work harder), and US Navy General Issue Foul Weather boots for slogging through the soup.

I gave up on snake rated boots a few years back, as the three times I was lucky enough to get bitten were all above boot height. In my case a snakebite kit was easier.

John, I have the fat calves issue also, I purchased my snake gear from the following link and they had sizes the fit not only my narrow "B" width shoe size, but my "spent too much time hiking in the desert" misproportionate calves.

http://www.snakeboots.com/

One note about these guys, their selection and size availablity changes quite a bit. I used to get the Chippewa brand boots.

John

Founder
Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks for the input, Johnny. My current thinking is that my snake boots were a waste of money - they lost their water proofing after about 10 uses. So buyer, beware of Rocky Snake boots. I am still questing for a Rubber boot that will fit me (aka a Wellington or Rain boot).

Critter Mom

Reaction score
When I think about those of you who do it barefoot it makes me cringe. I honestly don't know how you do it. I can't even walk barefoot across the lawn my feet are so sensitive! I can't stand the idea of leeches, or stepping on something sharp by accident. I am not the most graceful person either. This thread makes me want to take a shower and put on some armor! Haha! I'm ok until I can't see below the surface of the water and I sink up to my knees in muck.:eek:

SludgeMunkey

Reaction score
I picked up a pair of these over the weekend. I tried them out this morning.

They look absolutely ridiculous, but I have never had a "shoe" that was this comfortable and this well suited to slogging through the muck. After wearing them for a 6 mile hike through different terrains, I am completely sold. They remain comfortable and lightweight, even after the mud! traction is unlike any other boot or shoe I have ever worn.

Very highly recommended!

Vibram 5 Fingers "Flow"

Nathan

Reaction score
OK, those are awesome. I may have to buy a pair.

I usually go barefoot or wear cheapo deck shoes in creeks. They're great for slick rocks, but terrible on slick mud. If I'm swamping, I go with one of three options: chest waders (if it's cold), deck shoes (if the swamp has a lot of trash), or barefoot.

I've learned the hard way that with waders or boots, you WILL put holes in them, and you WILL get in over the tops of them. Just the nature of the beast. Not to say you shouldn't wear them, but if you do, wear something under them that will keep you warm even when wet; wool, neoprene, anything but cotton or poly, really.

katebutton

Reaction score
I agree- Vibram five fingers are awesome. I've had my pair for a few months and I do everything from herping to swimming to walking to class in them and I've never had a bad thought about them once. Just as comfortable as being barefoot but so much safer!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1