Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Fossorial Caecilians and Parasites

YGDS

Reaction score
I have been considering the acquisition of some Dermophis mexicanus, as they are selling for a very reasonable price from a store in Ontario (CAECILIAN PURPLE | Port Credit Pets | Reptile Central). Since these are no doubt wild-caught animals, they are pretty much guaranteed to have some level of parasite load. In order to prevent possible contamination of other animals in one's collection, I can see that one might have to simply keep them in a permanent quasi-quarantine, such that they will not spread their parasites to other vulnerable species. However, the other route, as far as I can tell is to treat them with a broad spectrum anti-parasitic or a course of several anti-parasitics to rid them of their nascent parasite load.

Has anyone here attempted this? What protocol did you follow and what results did you have? Was there a risk of mortality?

I can't see D. mexicanus remaining forever importable (the same with other caecilians), so eventually captive breeding attempts need to be made for them to remain in the hobby. There might be breeders of fossorial caecilians in Canada but I can imagine they have pretty long waiting lists. I'd think part of the work would incorporate a de-contamination step of the first generation. This would prevent the next generation from acquiring their parent's parasitic load. Thoughts?

Camnp97

Reaction score
Ideally you should get fecals tested and confirm the existence of parasites and what type. However, the rewards of of a prophylactic deworm outweigh the risks. The parasite load will no doubt increase in the confines of captivity, and keeping them in quasiquarantine indefinitely won't be very conducive for breeding. I would do a broad spectrum parasite and de-worm with metronidizole and fenbendazole. You can give the metro percutaneously, and inject the fenben into a worm.

YGDS

Reaction score
For either, are there special recommendations for mg/kg dosimetrics? Or does it work with the normal recommended dosing? Also, thank you for the answer. I really didn't think I'd get one after this amount of time. It is very helpful.

YGDS

Reaction score
Again, thank you greatly. I've expended my amphibian budget and plans for the time being, so now D. mexicanus has been deferred till next year as an acquisition, but this will be similarly helpful with some other wild-caught anurans I am trying to get. Thanks for your time.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1