Four-toed Salamanders...

Andy Avram

Reaction score
Country
United States
Of the parks in the park district I work for has a fantastic set of vernal pools at the base of a ridge near a large river. It is densly wooded with trees and moss/fern islands growing up in the water. It is also an amphibian paradise that also harbors Spotted Turtles. Spotteds are one of the few turtles I have yet to see in my county (Blanding's are extirpated) so I was out there searching around for them as one was seen a few days earlier. I was unfortunate in that regards but was able to see a large Snapper cruising the wetlands and pulled back a few pieces of moss to reveal a salamander that is mostly gone from my county.
Four-toed2.jpg

Four-toed1.jpg

The mossy log she was using was in the middle of a small pool of water and another log had three more nests and salamanders on it.
I am going back out later this week to hopefully see the turtles.
Andy

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Andy, that's quite a find. I hope they don't die out in your county.

PS you might want to let people know what state you're talking about.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back