Question: Freeze Dried Brine Shrimp ?

firefly

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Would it be ok to feed my FBN newt larvae freeze dried Brine Shrimp??

Firstly I think it would be hard to get your larvae to eat non live food, secondly I don't think there is much nutritionally in freeze dried foods anyway.

Depending on the size of your larvae, adult brine shrimp are too large for them to eat. Freeze dried versions are more trouble than they are worth, since they must be rehydrated and tend to float on the surface. Better to use frozen brine shrimp that have been minced with a razor blade.

Truthfully though Cynops species larvae tend to ignore non moving food items (though I had moderate success with decapsulated cysts). Unlike many Ambystomid larvae, Cynops larvae live by the rule "If it moves, and is small, it is food"

Better to put forth the effort in hatching out live brine shrimp napuli or, even easier, getting live daphnia and moina to feed them. They will also eat whiteworms and microworms depending on their size.

Thank you. I've been patiently using my trusty turkey baster to suck up tiny baby daphnia today from a cloud of the stuff, took ages, then dropping them into clean bottled water for a wash, then popping them into the larvae. I hope they appreciate all this palaver.

I'm sure they'll appreciate it very much!! Daphnia are a MUCH better choice over freeze dried brine shrimp and even live baby brine shrimp IMO because they are fresh water so they won't foul the water.

I agree! I spent much time and money getting a batch of baby brine shrimp to hatch out, only to find my Japanese FBN larvae weren't interested in them. They much prefer the daphnia and the mosquito larvae from the daphnia tubs - which are free! (though they do make the water a bit messy)

I'm sure they'll appreciate it very much!! Daphnia are a MUCH better choice over freeze dried brine shrimp and even live baby brine shrimp IMO because they are fresh water so they won't foul the water.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back