Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

french herping

sean

Reaction score
hi i am going to france in may on a fishing trip it is a privert lake in the middle of know where it is surrounded by woods and it is a bog land. what types of amphibians am i likley to come accross as i would love to take some pics and look at different amphibians in theire own enviorment. thanks very much

also i forgot to mention this area is untoutched and not many people have ever been there and it has been there since world war one so it would be really good to find some large populations of amphibians to take pics of i will definatly post pics of my finds on hear. lol

Jari B

Reaction score
Triturus marmoratus, Salamandra salamandra terrestris, Lissotriton vulgaris,Triturus cristatus and Mesotriton alpestris.

caleb

Reaction score
what types of amphibians am i likley to come accross

The most likely species are edible/pool frogs (Rana esculenta (=Pelophylax esculentus) and Rana (=Pelophylax) lessonae). They're massively common all over France, and dead easy to see (and hear).

Other frogs and toads may well be calling in May- midwife toad (Alytes obstetricans) are common in France, and are easily recognised from their call- you could probably download a recording somewhere...

The Collins field guide is well worth buying (or borrowing from a library), even though it's a little bit out of date:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Reptiles-Amphibians-Britain-Europe-Collins/dp/0002199645

John

Founder
Staff member
Reaction score
This of course raises the very important question: What's this Pelophylax business??

aramcheck

Reaction score
The most likely species are edible/pool frogs (Rana esculenta (=Pelophylax esculentus) and Rana (=Pelophylax) lessonae). They're massively common all over France, and dead easy to see (and hear).

Other frogs and toads may well be calling in May- midwife toad (Alytes obstetricans) are common in France, and are easily recognised from their call- you could probably download a recording somewhere...

The Collins field guide is well worth buying (or borrowing from a library), even though it's a little bit out of date:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Reptiles-Amphibians-Britain-Europe-Collins/dp/0002199645

Edible/pool frog are really easy to see.
Common toads are very often found in gardens at night.
Palmates/Common newts are widespread.
GCN are foubnd in the North/East while you will find Marbled newt in the South/West
Salamandra s. terretris is 'localy widespread'
If you are lucky, you might see the European Tree Frog, the Midwife toad

During your fishing trip, you might see grass snakes (Natrix natrix) and its close relative, the 'viperine snake' (Natrix maura) which is an adder mimick often found near water. The european pond terrapin (Emys orbicularis) tend to be heard (loud 'plop' sound as it enters water) more often than seen...

John

Founder
Staff member
Reaction score
I never noticed that change in Rana. Thank you Caleb.

sean

Reaction score
i would really like to see some terrestris or marble newts, the good thing is im there for 7 nights so i might have to reel my rods in when its dark and go spotting with a torch. lol

over hear in england if i lift up logs near ponds i can find lots and lots of common newts, i get great pics would this be the same which other newts and salamanders or are they quite had to find. it has allways been a dream of mine to lift a log up and see lots of terrestris looking at me instead of huge slimy slugs. lol

sean

Reaction score
the place i will be going to is called leon does any one know what amphibians are around this part of the country?

thanks very much

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
That´s what i was thinking hehe. If it is Leon, i think you might be confussing France for Spain :p xDDD

sean

Reaction score
is there marble newts in Lyon????

because the owner said there are newts but he is not sure what type they are..

thanks

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!