Freshly new to becoming a Newt guy

Newthanial

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Newthaniel George Matys @tiktok
Hello my fellow newthusiasts,
I am very new to the world of salamanders but already obsessed. My newest addiction to blue spotted salamanders has been on the rise. With warmer weather here in northern Ohio I have only been on 2 herping missions so far and haven't found anything yet but it still is early in the season. I hope to one day breed blue spotted salamanders but I was wondering if anyone has suggestions or has had luck with Mississippi slimy salamanders. They're not blue but closely resemble them and I found a few breeders at reasonable prices. My plan in the future is to get a 20gal tank, heavily plant and house 3 or 4 slimy together and hopefully I can successfully reinact their environment and breed if possible. Does anyone recommend this for a novice or newbie to the newts or salamander hobby? I have freshwater fish, 2 cats a dog and a beardy but I am slightly concerned about my husbandry with salamanders considering I have no prior experience and I hear they can be sensitive and sometimes become difficult to keep.

Hello my fellow newthusiasts,
I am very new to the world of salamanders but already obsessed. My newest addiction to blue spotted salamanders has been on the rise. With warmer weather here in northern Ohio I have only been on 2 herping missions so far and haven't found anything yet but it still is early in the season. I hope to one day breed blue spotted salamanders but I was wondering if anyone has suggestions or has had luck with Mississippi slimy salamanders. They're not blue but closely resemble them and I found a few breeders at reasonable prices. My plan in the future is to get a 20gal tank, heavily plant and house 3 or 4 slimy together and hopefully I can successfully reinact their environment and breed if possible. Does anyone recommend this for a novice or newbie to the newts or salamander hobby? I have freshwater fish, 2 cats a dog and a beardy but I am slightly concerned about my husbandry with salamanders considering I have no prior experience and I hear they can be sensitive and sometimes become difficult to keep.
I have a male and female I plan on breeding for pets. Instead of disturbing what's left of their natural habitat please wait for mine to mate as they can have hundreds of eggs in one mass and I plan on using their offspring as pets for salamander lovers like myself.

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1704061463731.jpg
    FB_IMG_1704061463731.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 45
I have a male and female I plan on breeding for pets. Instead of disturbing what's left of their natural habitat please wait for mine to mate as they can have hundreds of eggs in one mass and I plan on using their offspring as pets for salamander lovers like myself.
Thank you for making me smile today! Bless your soul Mummy 🙏 please keep me informed for when they mate! How old are they?

Thank you for making me smile today! Bless your soul Mummy 🙏 please keep me informed for when they mate! How old are they?
Based on their size I believe both to be adults and hope they will breed for the first time this spring once they have emerged from their winter hibernation. I fattened them up on a diet of wax worms right before they slipped into their winter hibernation and I hope once spring comes around I find a egg mass within their enclosure, that I will remove for the safety of the young.. I have multiple cleaned empty enclosure on standby for that time

Based on their size I believe both to be adults and hope they will breed for the first time this spring once they have emerged from their winter hibernation. I fattened them up on a diet of wax worms right before they slipped into their winter hibernation and I hope once spring comes around I find a egg mass within their enclosure, that I will remove for the safety of the young.. I have multiple cleaned empty enclosure on standby for that time
They were actually breed in captivity so I believe they will reproduce in their enclosures if not this year, years to come

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back