Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Freshwater Shrimp

juliesr

Reaction score
I am thinking of starting up a few newt tanks and would like to seed them with freshwater shrimp but I was wondering what shrimp eat plant matter and algae. I know cherries do but I was wondering if there were others that can thrive or at least breed within caudate parameters. And where can I find these available?

Chinadog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I've found the best algae eaters by a mile are Japonica shrimp, they will even eat thread algae/blanketweed. Unfortunately they aren't very easy to breed as they need brackish water to complete their life cycle. They do seem long lived though, and are much better at staying off the newt's menu than Cherry shrimp.

Coastal Groovin

Reaction score
Ghost shrimp will live with caudatas until they are eaten. They handle the cold just fine.

chezr

Reaction score
Where do you go about purchasing that species?
The shrimp Chinadog mentioned is more commonly called amano shrimp and is sold online (even amazon) or in most pet stores I've seen. They have a reputation for being the best algae controllers among shrimp.

Jonjey

Banned
Reaction score
Amano shrimp! They get about 3x the size of a full grown cherry and they eat all the gross stuff. They're also clear so my axolotls don't notice them as fast as cherries, they're also cheaper than cherries here.

Coastal Groovin

Reaction score
Ghost shrimp or glass shrimp are cheap. They only cost 50 cents to a dollar each. They do a great job with algae.

juliesr

Reaction score
I'll have to get some amano shrimp. I've had cherries and ghost shrimp in the past but ghost shrimp have never bred in my care. I think I will go with all three. They are all enjoyable species to have in an aquarium.

Jonjey

Banned
Reaction score
I'll have to get some amano shrimp. I've had cherries and ghost shrimp in the past but ghost shrimp have never bred in my care. I think I will go with all three. They are all enjoyable species to have in an aquarium.

There are no shrimp to my knowledge that will readily breed in sub-70 degree waters. Most prefer to be in the high 70's or even up to 80 degrees to breed.

Bette

Reaction score
I ordered Amanos from Invert Obsession thru Amazon. Highly recommend this seller! They sent many extras, and sent nice specimens. I put them into my Discus tank where they are thriving.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!