Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Freshwater shrimps-Gammarus pulex

Kerry1968

Reaction score
Well I went out last night and caught myself some shrimps! I was hoping to get a male holding onto a female as I've read this means she is about to hatch out her babies, but I don't think I did.

I managed to get quite a few of varying sizes, so I'm hoping they will start to produce young.

At the moment they are being kept in a washing up bowl (clean) with a couple of inches of water, a mix of their own from the stream plus a little extra from the axies tank. I've put in some elodea and they have some of the muck and stones that I collected when I caught them.

I've read that they feed on detrius in the water, rotting plants (or the algae on it) and need good water with plenty of oxygen.

So, I'm going to keep them for a month to see if (a) they survive or (b) they actually produce young. Then I'll be able to offer them to the axies as a treat, that's what I'm hoping anyway.

Wish me luck!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!