Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Frog begginer

M

matt

Hi all,
I was thinking about getting some taddies and was wondering what sort of housing they need, what food they need
oh and any sites would be apreciated

K

kiley

If you want your tadpoles to grow fast, I suggest putting them in no more than three, maybe four inces of distilled water (to distill the water, just but tap water in the tank a day before you put the tadpoles in). Bank up gravel or sand at one corner of the tank so that the frog will able to climb out of the water when it metamorphoses. You don't need more than a centimeter of the gravel to stick out of the water.
I use boiled spinich as a food supply, but gold fish food works fine as long as you get it to sink to the bottom of the tank. One set back to either of these foods is that it mucks up the water. You should replace the water once that happens. If slimy bubbles or film begin to show on the surface, replace the water immediatly.
The type of frog you want to get might depend on how long you wish for them to remain tadpoles. Some, like the bull frog, take around 2 or 3 years to turn into frogs, while wood frogs only take 3 months at the most. The higher the tempurature and dimmer the lighting, the faster they will grow legs. But, if the water is two hot, they will end up with deformities that could be life threatening. Sorry, but i do not know the recomended temp, just use your jugment, room tempurature sould be fine.
In the wild, more than 99.99% of the tadpoles never make it to the land without being eaten or killed by desease or malnutrition. In captivity, usually 4/5 of the tadpoles die after hatching. So if you plan on gathering eggs from the wild, take one group of eggs, that could mean up to 1000+ eggs. Many won't even hatch an most won't ever leave the water. When they do turn into frogs, just release as many as you don't want and keep the rest. You don't want to overpopulate your tank. The eggs should be in a ten gallon tank filled to the top with distilled water and the tadpoles should be raised no more than 40 to a ten gallon tank with three inches of water. If you don't have ten gallon tanks, then you will need to adjust those numbers to accomodate for what you do have.
If you are getting the little guys from a petstore or some other place, they will give you the kind of tadpole that would be best for what you have to work with.

One rule of thumb that I have learned is if you can see through the tadpoles belly and see it's intestine, then it is a species that takes a shorter time to metamorphose into frogs. If you can't see through, then it could be a bull frog or green frog, which take years to metamorphose. American toad tadpoles are all black and pretty small. They don't take long to emerge to land. Your best bet at finding woodfrogs, which are what i have had the best experience with, is to get the eggs early spring. They are one of the first species to lay there eggs.

A good site for identification of tadpoles is http://www.pwrc.usgs.gov/tadpole/ one of the authors of the site, Ronald Altig, also has published numerous books and articles about tadpoles and is worth looking into as a source.

I think that about covers it. Sorry if this is too long, but I'm a bit enthusiastic when it come to tadpoles.

J

jennifer

Aged tap water is NOT the same as distilled water! Distilled water is completely pure, with all dissolved material removed. Real distilled water is NOT usually recommended for amphibians. (See http://www.caudata.org/caudatecentral/articles/Spring_water.html) Tap water has a variety of salts and other dissolved stuff in it, and those things stay there no matter what. The only thing that goes away during aging is chlorine. And if your tap water source uses chloramine, even the chlorine doesn't go away with aging.

J

john

Re Chloramines - they will go away eventually, but not in a day or two.

K

kiley

Or you could just do what I reallydo and get the water right from the pond the eggs came from. Pond water hasn't produced any problems for me so far. Just make sure the water's clean.

J

john

I wouldn't do that personally because you are introducing all kinds of interesting creatures with pond water (I'm talking about the kind you generally can't see with the naked eye - parasites, disease, etc).

K

kiley

That is generally my thought, but if the eggs or tadpoles are coming from a pond or lake, then those parasites and bacteria would be introduced to whatever water you are using anyway. I say that it all depends on where the tadpoles are coming from, the wild or a lab. True, you don't want to introduce the little guys to new contaminations, but if they are coming from the wild then they have probably already been exposed to them anyway.

S

steve

i raised a tadpole in normal tap water (chlorine tested of course) and it morphed just fine.

It went from a 29G to a half full 20L and is now a green frog. I caught it in June from a local pond while searching for newts. (actually i found a spotted newt living in the same pond.

steve

K

kiley

Cool, how long did it take to metamorphose? I've kept green frog tadpoles, wood frog tadpoles, and leopard and bullfrog tadpoles. I know that Bulls can take two or three years and greens can take up to a year to metamorphose, but I've had my bull and greens going on 4 years and still no legs. That's why I'm experimenting with tadpoles to see what factors make them metamorphose and what factors stunt their growth. My other little ones took about 3 months to metamorphose.

S

steve

It could be anything. Water quality, DEPTH, tank mates, food supply.

*let me see, caught him in late June and morphed around July. NOT LONG at all, within weeks. I really didnt do anything for him either. (he had his hind legs before i moved him to the 20L though)

steve

K

kiley

Yeah, I'm testing some of the things you mentioned above. I tested Oxygen content as a variable and began testing population density. I've got a ten page list of ideas in my head, but it will take me at least a few years to get all the answers I'm looking for. Food supply, tepurature, depth, pH, water quality, among other things are included on that imaginary list. I'll keep people updated when and if I discover something new.

A

abc

I just got a few tadpoles today at a pond..and got an aquarium, and as soon as i got home i put them in the aquarium with tapwater. I know they werent supposed to be in tap water but i just found out. Right now theyre all on the bottom of the tank but still moving. Does that mean they are going to die?

(Message approved by admin)

S

summer

hi, abc.... i'm Summer. when i hade tadpoles i did that and well they did die. if you have another ? i will try to help please email me at
frogloverslt@aol.com
thanks
summer

S

summer

hi, abc.... i'm Summer. when i hade tadpoles i did that and well they did die. if you have another ? i will try to help please email me at
frogloverslt@aol.com
thanks
summer

S

shawn

i raise a few sorts of tadpoles including american bullfrog, leapord frog, and an unknown at the time being lol but in my experience they morph quicker with more food and nutrition. mine i feed green sinking algae wafers daily and they all normally morph within 1 months time EXCEPT the leapord frog they seem to take approx 2 months or so to morph. tadpoles are scavengers and will eat just about anything all the time. and they use the nutrients quickly. ive had a bullfrog recently that morphed and was no bigger than 1/2 an inch in size total had to feed him black worms for aabout a month or so until he got big enough to eat other foods. once i figure out how to work this dang camcorder i got its supposed to be able to take pictures and transfer them to the comp havent figured it out yet tho i will post some pics of my taddies and frogs.
Wolfie

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1