Frog question

Fishtank1

Reaction score
Country
United States
I know this forum is for newts and salamanders but I can't find another place (amphibians)to ask knowing I'm only allowed to write in the beginner section. So here is my question if anyone can help.

I have a tank full of tropical fish and I wanted to add frogs that I have seen in Petco. I was wondering does the frog mess up the water quality quickly in a well cycled fish tank? Before I kill my fish with frog bacteria and fast water quality changes I need some kind of input. I dont want to risk if the changes are dramatic to my tank.

Thanks in advance.

It depends on how big your tank is and how full it is of water. It also depends on the frog species.
But I would advise against buying the frogs in the first place because they are probably going to be wild caught and odds are they aren't in good condition, nor kept in good condition at the pet store. Plus frogs really shouldn't be housed with fish anyway in my opinion. The fish could get eaten, or the frog could get attacked, or the frog could simply be stress by the fish. All in all, it just isn't a good idea.

Ok thanks. I was hesitant anyway. I saw them in petco in with other fish like Tetras. The water was filled like a normal tank with fish. The reason I was considering them is because my kids pointed them out and I thought they looked pretty cool in with the fish. Knowing I wasnt intending on buying another tank just for frogs. I just wanted to see before I actually went along with them. if they would pollute the water. My tank is 65 gallons. It really doesn't matter though lol I dont think ill risk it. Thanks for your help with my decision.

They are African dwarf frogs. They are, actually, captive bred. Just google the name and you will find lots of info on their care and can make the right decision for your tank.

I've always found that those petstore dwarf frogs don't last very long but maybe I've just had bad luck

I know this forum is for newts and salamanders but I can't find another place (amphibians)to ask knowing I'm only allowed to write in the beginner section. So here is my question if anyone can help.

I have a tank full of tropical fish and I wanted to add frogs that I have seen in Petco. I was wondering does the frog mess up the water quality quickly in a well cycled fish tank? Before I kill my fish with frog bacteria and fast water quality changes I need some kind of input. I dont want to risk if the changes are dramatic to my tank.

Thanks in advance.

You could join frog forum ; Frog Forum - Home
It's also owned by John Clare.

Stuart

They are African dwarf frogs. They are, actually, captive bred. Just google the name and you will find lots of info on their care and can make the right decision for your tank.

Do Petco only source cb ? The vast majority of adf are captive farmed

Do Petco only source cb ? The vast majority of adf are captive farmed

I guess I should clarify: they are farmed in large numbers for use in research and as pets, mostly in Asia. They are not captured from wild populations.

ETA: though I should add that I believe most of the frogs in the US are grown here.

ETA: though I should add that I believe most of the frogs in the US are grown here.

I would be surprised if that was the case. From speaking with commercial breeders in the US I know the wholesale price for these frogs, its so low it would probably preclude raising them commercially, especially as they are fiddly to raise. Xenopus are probably homegrown generally but hymenichorus are generally imports.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back