Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Frozen black mosquito larvae. Survive being frozen.

Crysta

Reaction score
I know insects are incredible little things, and can survive a hell of alot. I was feeding my C.orientalis with black mosquito larvae and as it thawed I realised that one of the larvae had :eek:SURVIVED!:eek:

there is was wriggling around the top of the water. I have no idea how it's possible at all.
My question is, has anyone else ever experienced frozen food surviving the freezing process, because it truly astonished me.

Dcerdeiras

Reaction score
Life never ceases to amaze me.
I've heard of wetas surviving freezing, but this is the first case I've heard of mosquitos doing it. I guess they have to survive the winter some how, or else they wouldn't exist in norther climates.

Ltdanicecream

Reaction score
Life never ceases to amaze me.
I've heard of wetas surviving freezing, but this is the first case I've heard of mosquitos doing it. I guess they have to survive the winter some how, or else they wouldn't exist in norther climates.
Grrr. Its a shame they CAN live up North... makes herping and fishing a pain... but no, I've never seen this happen first hand although I've heard of frogs being frozen and thawed, on the Discovery Channel and what not.

Nathan

Reaction score
I'd never heard of skeeters surviving actually being encased in ice, but I've seen plenty of wrigglers active under the ice in frozen-over ponds.

FRANCOIS

Reaction score
I observed the exact same thing last night, I placed a cube of frozen blood worms (Hikari style) in the water, several hours later some were alive! I could not believe my eyes. Fascinating.

stanleyc

Reaction score
I've seen thawed blood worms wiggling slightly before when feeding, but never for too long, as the newts eat them up too fast. I always thought I was seeing things.

Chinadog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I've often thought the odd bloodworm was alive but always put it down to a live one being left over from a previous feeding! If they can survive then it really is amazing!!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1