Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Frozen food good vs bad

merk199

Reaction score
I am working on setting up a 10-20 gallon tank for a local high school. Tank will contain one of my cynops species, likely popei, or cyanurus. I think the easiest thing for this teacher will be to feed chopped troutworms 1-2 times a week a blend of frozen. Currently the only frozen I use is bloodworms. I would like to condition my animals to eat something else frozen. As I shy away from most frozen foodsI am not sure what is appropriate for the cynops. I know Hikari is good as I have used that brand of bloodworms, and mysis for my salt water tank. Just looking at the Drs FS website I have found a few items to try. Can anyone tell me if this sounds like something good to switch too:

1) Hikari frozen Daphnia -- live daphnia are nutrituous and provide color enhancement
2) Hikari spirulina frozen brine shrimp
3) Hikari baby brine shrimp

Any other thoughts would be appreciated. I am trying to make this easy on the science tweacher. For him to keep live daphnia cultures, or even blackworms may be too much. But I also don't want to deprive my newts either....

Last edited by a moderator:

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Re: Frozon food good vs bad

The problem with frozen daphnia and small artemia is that, first off, they are really small and some animals may ignore it, and also that they kind of break down which can foul the water.
Adult artemia are ok, and you can also find frozen gammarus (excelent), frozen tubifex, etc...

Greatwtehunter

Reaction score
Re: Frozon food good vs bad

With frozen foods the key is variety. The problem with frozen foods is during the freezing process the cells are broken open, then when the food is thawed you lose some of the nutritional elements. In my opinion offering a variety of foods offsets some of these losses. The only frozen foods my Cynops sp. have readily taken is bloodworms, brine shrimp, tubifex worms, and occasionally daphnia.

merk199

Reaction score
Good to know. I am not a real proponent of frozen food but where this is going to a high school I am trying to make it easier. I will try a few frozen foods and see what works. Certainly cut earthworms still need to be the center of the diet.

axiesoph

Reaction score
I've heard frozen bloodworms are a good option. How do your axies take to that?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!