Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Frozen food types?

DeCypher

Reaction score
I'm looking for different types of frozen food for my red-spotted newts. I currently use frozen bloodworms. Are there any other frozen species that are better? (more nutritional, more attractive, etc.)​

Reaction score
Freeze dried mealworms, brine ship, crickets. Try dusting them with herptivite vitamin supplement to increase the nutritional value

Reaction score
I recommend freeze dried rather than frozen to be honest. Especially when you dust it with vitamin supplements. There's this freeze Sri

Asevernnnn

Reaction score
I wouldn't use freeze dried insects. They are going to be harder that usual, which could lead to digestive problems, regular live mealworms are hard enough. And tbh, they're grosser than live food. Why not feed a staple of worm?

Davo

Reaction score
I only tried frozen food once many years ago. I thought it was rubbish, it was frozen bloodworm cubes. Looked terrible and the colour was awful.:(

I breed daphnia in tubs,i breed whiteworms in tubs, i breed lesser waxworm larvae, earthworms from the garden, live bloodworm from tropical fish store but not very often.

Small crickets for terrestrial, springtails from whiteworm tubs, greenfly from plants, :happy:

When i am asked how to keep newts i always say, learn how to culture livefoods first, breed as much of your own livefood as you can, you then know whats in it!

Not a fan of frozen or freeze dried.:( i never use it.

morg

Reaction score
I agree with Martin
Always use live foods if you can buy , find, or culture yourself.
My newts get frozen bloodworm very occassionaly, but 99% of foods fed to my newts is live.

crawdaddy

Reaction score
Martin is pretty much on spot. The order is usually live, frozen, freeze-dried, pellet. The last two usually not even taken by most newts. Daphnia are pretty small for adult newts, but small earthworms, chopped nightcrawler, small crickets without the legs, freshly molted mealworms, and live blackworms are taken with great results. Frozen bloodworms tend to be the most popular, but they shouldn't be a staple. Try getting live earthworms. Your newts will thank you :ufo:

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!