Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

frozen to live

james11

Reaction score
Right now I'm feeding my larvae frozen brine shrimp and choped up blood worms. They readily take this and are doing well. The reason I don't live feed is that I have a hard time find live food around where I live. Once they get bigger I hope to switch them to live food, will they accept and still have the instinct or will they have goten lazy? Has anybody hade success switching ?

Thanks.

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
It should no problem. They never lose the instinct to go after something live and wiggly. :frog:

CloudNewt

Reaction score
Same problem as me mate? The only stuff available for less than £30.00 is frozen, and the newts seem fine with it.....

Reaction score
My larvae didn't seem to want the frozen daphnia at all. They didn't go after it even though I tried to drop it in front of them in small amounts. It sat there overnight and I had to change basically all the water. I've had more success with the sinking newt pellets. Zoo med brand I bought at a local pet store a while back. I mashed it up and dropped tiny amounts in front of them and they went after it! They don't seem to eat it after its sank and sat there though. Any tips on getting my larvae to eat the frozen daphnia? No pet stores in my area carry anything st all that's live and small enough. I had to go to another town just to get the frozen daphnia. The pet stotes here don't even have the newt pellets anymore. I'm weighing my options on what to try to culture for when they morph.

Reccetrooper

Reaction score
I found that I had a case of severe die off in my cricket cage just after purchase of 50 or so crickets. So I did an experiment. I froze a large number and kept them for months in our freezer. I've been thawing out 20 in some lukewarm water prior to feeding. My two tigers both took thawed-out crickets with no issues at all with forceps and even by hand. I see my two salamanders suffer no ill effects in doing this. and are thriving with this method of food preparation.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1