firedreams

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
Country
Canada
Display Name
Lydia
Hi,

I recently purchased a fruit fly culture for my sals, and I was wondering if I should be adding any food to the culture to maintain it?

Greatwtehunter

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Justin
You don't need to add a thing to it. That's the beauty of buying pre-made cultures.

firedreams

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
Country
Canada
Display Name
Lydia
I was getting about 10-20 adult flies a day for the first 2 weeks of having the culture, and now I am barely getting any. There appear to be a lot of maggots on the glass of the culture jar, but none are turning into flies. I was keeping them in the fridge at first, but have had them out of the fridge for the last few days in the hope of speeding up their maturation, but no luck. Am I doing something wrong?

Greatwtehunter

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Justin
The fridging definitely slowed down the flies. Mid 70's seems to be the magical temperature range for optimal growth of your culture. Now even though you took them out a few days ago you won't see a noticeable increase in flies until at least a week later, probably 2 though.

AlienFirefox

Banned
Reaction score
Country
Australia
WOW you sure have some weird things over there. Fruit flies are banned here. Culturing them I believe would result in a prison time

Adogowo

Reaction score
Country
United States
LOL not all of us live in climates where fruit flies can be an issue, they die quickly outside of artificial conditions here in Colorado.:D

Molch

Reaction score
Country
United States
I was getting about 10-20 adult flies a day for the first 2 weeks of having the culture, and now I am barely getting any. There appear to be a lot of maggots on the glass of the culture jar, but none are turning into flies. I was keeping them in the fridge at first, but have had them out of the fridge for the last few days in the hope of speeding up their maturation, but no luck. Am I doing something wrong?
Sounds like your culture is winding down. Cultures last about a month or so (depending on container), after that you'll have to set up a new one. So yes, you do need food to do that, and some surviving flies to start a new culture. John's link should lay it all out. You can also buy pre-mixed feeding medium from some online places, or make your own.

And they like it warm! In the fridge they'll stop functioning and may even die.

Molch

Reaction score
Country
United States
okay - just realized I responded to an ancient post. Duh. Nevah mind...

Fishfur

Reaction score
Country
Canada
You have to remember, what one country calls a fruit fly, another country calls a pommace or vinegar fly. The Drosphila we culture for live food are not the type of fruit fly, such as the Mediterranean fruit fly, that did so much damage in California to fruit still on the trees, and are terrible agricultural pests in many countries.

North Americans call pomace or vinegar flies fruit flies commonly but they only infest rotting fruit or veggies, not fruit on trees. Different species.

It is not hard to culture the flies. I culture wingless ones and those with stunted wings that don't work. Flies vary also by species. D. hydei has a month long life cycle, so it takes some time to get production going. They don't like it too cold or too hot.

D. melanogaster are smaller than hydei, half the size, and only two week life cycle. Maggots will pupate and hatch into flies in two weeks from the egg hatching into a maggot, or larva. A bit less fussy about temperature but cold will really slow them down too.

If you want a culture to continue producing, you do need to start new ones before the old ones die off. Get a suitable food, either commerical or find a recipe online. Or I can post mine. Add about twenty five or thirty flies to the new culture with a bit of netting or something for adult flies to land on and let them get working. This way you can keep them going for some time. If you have several jars on the go, if one becomes infested or moulded, you have others. If one crashes, you have others.

Melanogaster, I find, is just easier to raise than Hydei, but if you need a larger fly, Hydei is the one you want. They also come in flightless variants.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • sde:
    Caudata.org chat? Haven’t seen this in years
    +1
    Unlike
  • Dougie:
    @sde, hi everybody I'm getting a tiger salamander coming from Katy Texas what are the shipping conditions that's okay to have them shipped to me in the state of Vermont it's just starting to get the temperature low above 45 but it may be too hot to ship him any thoughts or ideas on how to work this out
    +1
    Unlike
  • newtmember:
    as long as its not freezing they should ship fine. I usually ship mine in 2 days priorities like axolotl. insulation and some cold pack. Is this morphed or still a larvae?
    +1
    Unlike
  • macmac194:
    Greetings I have a quaratined tiger salamander due to not feeding and feeling lethargic. I saw a slimy green stuff inside the enclosure. Is this vomit? Poop?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Jjrio421:
    Are you still looking to rehome any of your axolotl babies?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    Guest nagato has joined the room.
  • (Guest) nagato:
    Does anybody know where or who to buy danube crested newts from?
  • Mother of Dragons:
    Anyone in the DMV area looking for juvenile axolotls? I have several morphs available. Experienced owners and pickup only please.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    Guest axmaolotl has joined the room.
  • Ariania Lee-Ann:
    I currently have a 3 year old axolotl, he hasn't been eating for the past couple of weeks and has lost a lot of weight. Hedwig usually eats bloodworms and earthworms just fine but now he won't even stud it. I've done a water change to make his nitrate lower and his water is at a good temperature
    +1
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    Guest zippy has joined the room.
  • (Guest) zippy:
    what substrate is he on?
  • Linkisnotzelda:
    Are any of you guys on Quora? I’ve started an axolotl space there and am looking for people interested in helping out!
    +1
    Unlike
  • KarateKid08:
    I am wanting a spotted or tiger salamander and I was wondering how often to feed, what the best feeders would be and how many fed per feeding session.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    KarateKid08 has left the room.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    KarateKid08 has joined the room.
    +1
    Unlike
  • newtboi:
    Can I has alpine newts pls
    +1
    Unlike
  • ndbug:
    Any ambystoma breeders looking for californiense
    +1
    Unlike
  • axolotl owner2020:
    does anybody have any information on homemade baby axolotl food?
    +1
    Unlike
  • axolotl owner2020:
    I have an earthworm farm, and a tight budget.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Naxuzi:
    Hey guys I was wondering if my axolotl looks fine to you he/she (still don’t know) I’d activate and eating as usual but I did notice veins in the tail area.. let me know what you guys think! Also if anyone could tell if it’s a boy or girl that would be great! (Zolo was eating a worm and pretty sure the worm pooped XD)
    +2
    Unlike
  • Dougie:
    Where can I find a yellow western tiger
    +1
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    Eleven11 has left the room.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    Eleven11 has joined the room.