Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Fruitflies question

idontthinkso

Reaction score
Hi
Can you feed fruitflies to aquatic newts ? (Wont they get too much air in their stomach?)

Coastal Groovin

Reaction score
I can't see it causing a problem but why would you want to anyway? I would think most would either drown or just climb out.

idontthinkso

Reaction score
Because i have them atm, and because id like to see them hunt fruitflies, i like to give them all different kinds of food.

Willlis

Reaction score
Yes some will readily take fruit flies, the flies tend to form small floating groups and then the newts come and grab them like some giant shark eating seabirds from the water surface. Fewer flies escape then you would think.

Niels D

Reaction score
If you've got a couple of floating plants (especially Pistia sp.) some newts will hang on to them to stay close to the surface as the flies use the plants to walk on. When I've caught a annoying house fly or mosquito I feed it to my newts larvae using tweezers.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!