Fungal/Bacterial Infection?

BBJ

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
Country
Denmark
Hi
I am writing here since we are greatly in need of some help with our dear Axy.
Our Axolotl has aquired some sort of infection, which started at the tailtip, but by now it covers a good part of the tail and has also spread slightly to other parts of the body.
I have been reading around in here, and i personally suspect a fungal infection, seeing as the white areas appear "fluffy" when closely inspected.
He does not seem stressed, neither does he display unusual behavior, he feeds normally and otherwise everything appears normal appart from the white areas on his tail.
His diet consists of live earthworms and an occasional piece of shrimp or fish.
The water parameters in his tank are all as they should be and the temperature varies between 16-19 degrees on a day/night cycle. I have an air filter running in there to provide biological filtration and adding oxygen to the water. Along with that i clean up in the tank manually on a daily basis and i do a water change once a week.
After reading up on fungal infections i went on with a week of treatment which consisted of the Axolotl being fridged (~8 Degrees) while i put him in a salt bath every day for 10 minutes.
During this period he displayed no signs of stress and he fed normally as well.
While he was fridged i emptied his tank and cleaned it completely in order to get rid of any spores etc.
Much to our disappointment the treatment did not resolve much, i was convinced that the white coverings diminished slightly, but that may just have been my mind playing tricks on me.
Regardless the infection is still there and still growing.
We would really appreciate any help from you guys, so in advance thank you!
Here are some pictures which i hope are somewhat useful.

DSC00825.jpg

I can't see any signs of fungus in those pictures. I see a few white specks on the back foot on the bottom photo and a white dot on one of the gill 'fronds' but these could be part of the pigmentation of your axie. Perhaps someone else can see more.

I agree with Kerry , I don't see any sign of fungus on the pictures. I suspect that the markings are natural pigmentation.

I agree with Kerry an Bellabelloo. I can´t see any fungus, only normal pigmentation on a beautiful looking axy.:happy:

Looks normal to me.

Fungus appears fluffy, as in it is visibly 3-dimensional. It sticks out as a tuft of fuzz.

I agree,

looks like colouration rather than fungus

Hi BBJ,

Your axie is healthy. If its of any reassurance, my wildtype axie looks exactly the same.

:p

Hi guys

Thank you very much for the replies, quite a relief! :proud:
It just seemed very odd to me since a few weeks ago there was not a single white spot, and it continues to cover more and more of his body every day!

My axolotl has a white coloration also, maybe we have the same issue. Do some wild type axolotls just have different shades of white and dark?

Kaysie, the axolotl in your picture has paleness on its neck, similar what mine has. Maybe mine isn't actually sick, he's just fair skinned?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back