Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Fungus in Eggs

S

shaun

Does anyone have any tips on limiting fungus in eggs? Would it be possible to use any of the same methods that are effective for adult newts, or do I just have to hope for the best?

P

pin-pin

If you read the first part, it suggests using salt baths for eggs (I personally do not recommend salt baths):

http://www.caudata.org/cc/articles/salt.shtml

Frequent water changes and keeping it at cool (60F) temperatures seems to help slow the invasion. If your eggs are near hatching, they might hatch in time to escape the fungus.

It's also best to separate the eggs with visible fungus from the non-fungus covered eggs.

Other than that, yup, hope for the best.
happy.gif

J

jennifer

There is some sort of blue-colored fish anti-fungal that has been used successfully to keep fungus off eggs. I can't remember the name.

As I recall from our chat, you are raising crested newt eggs. Half of them are genetic duds and will naturally develop fungus. I have never had a problem with this fungus spreading to the good eggs. But if this is the problem, try removing the duds as soon as they are identifiable (by lack of development or by early signs of milky color or fungus).

E

edward

Saprilagenous fungal infections are more effective at cooler temperatures however the temps needed to inhibit the fungus would not be appropriate for newt eggs.
In general, I just remove the infected eggs if they appear to passing the infection on to healthy eggs.
Ed

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1