Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Illness/Sickness: Fungus on Eastern Newt

astamir

Reaction score
Hello,
Well odd as it may seem I have had my three newts (two firebellys and one eastern) for 14 years now, and this is my first time on this site! Irresponsible as it may seem, I never bothered to really research proper newt care, and kind of just did what I thought made sense. I keep about a gallon of water in the tank, and have a filter going. I clean the tank about once a month (take the newts out, soak everything in hot water, and scrub it down.) They all pretty much stick to the land (it's about half land and half water) and I never thought that this was a bad thing until I came here and started reading about it! All that aside, the reason for my post is that my eastern newt (Gingrich) has developed these dark stripes on the side of his head that are worrisome because they didn't used to be there. I first noticed them about 8 months ago, and actually got so worried that I took him to an exotic pet vetrinarian. At that point there was dead skin kind of hanging off of the dark patches (although he was not shedding at the time) and that was what made me feel like I needed to do something about it. My experience at the veterinarians was not super positive. First of all she seemed like she was about 20 years old (in any case she was young enough that she obviously didn't have years and years of experience). Secondly, the first thing that she did was to pick Gingrich up, grasping him firmly, (just about giving me heart failure, since I try not to handle them at all unless absolutely necessary) and start rubbing at the side of his head with a Q-tip! The dead skin came off and Gingrich being a hearty fellow seemed to deal with this pretty well (probably better than I in some ways), and she told me that it was some sort of a fungal problem. She gave me two options for treating it- 1. I could rub some lotrimin (same over-the-counter strength used for treating athlete's foot) on it or 2. I could attempt to somehow get him to ingest a medication (terumo u-100 insulin)- either by cutting up an earthworm and injecting the insulin into the earthworm chunks, or by holding his mouth open and squirting it down his throat. (she actually recommended this over the other technique). So what happened is that I did neither of these things. I just didn't trust her "professional" opinion. The lotrimin thing sounded too weird, and I really didn't like the way she handled him and suggested that I handle him as though it were no big deal. So I just started cleaning the tank more frequently (about every 2 weeks) and for a while it seemed like it was getting better. It never went away completely but it waxes and wanes. It never got to the dead-skin-hanging-off point again, but right now it is getting really dark and starting to worry me again so here I am looking for help. I apologize for the long-winded post.

I am planning to remove the filter and get an air stone after reading here about how water currents stress them out. ...But I am not really interested in changing the whole set-up to where the tank is mainly water as seems to be recommended here. I mean, come on, I have had the little buggers for 14 years!!! and they seem to be pretty darn happy to me. So I must be doing something right? Anyway I will post a picture so you can see what I am talking about and maybe someone out there knows what is going on? I love my guys! best pets ever!! Thanks for reading.

Attachments

• IMG_20140112_140646758.jpg
    IMG_20140112_140646758.jpg
    166.4 KB · Views: 280
  • IMG_20140112_140603996.jpg
    IMG_20140112_140603996.jpg
    105.4 KB · Views: 224

AfroNewtkeeper

Reaction score
I can't help you with any infections, but I can tell you that those stripes are perfectly normal, and many adult eastern newts have them. Do a quick Google search and you'll see what I mean. They shouldn't be related to infection at all - it was most likely just a coincidence. Only one thing though... in those pictures, are you housing your firebellies with Gingrich? I realize you've had them for fourteen years, but that's rather dangerous. Take a quick look at this: Caudata Culture Articles - Species Mixing Disasters. Firebellies excrete a toxin through their skin which, over time, can be harmful to other animals kept with them.

Oh, and if there's just one thing you change about your setup, I would pack the water area full of live plants. Elodea, Ceratophyllum (hornwort), and java moss would all work well. You could also use to replace the gravel with something else and raise the water level to 8+ gallons. With the gravel there's always a slim chance that a newt could ingest some and die from internal blockage. Just because it hasn't happened doesn't mean it couldn't.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1