Fungus? Parasites?

D

dannie

I've been posting a lot here lately, but I've really started to become interested in newts and all the various species. After the recent loss of a wounded CFB I thought I would check out a few different pet stores to see the conditions of their newts. One that I went to had a large semi-aquatic setup that housed both paddletails and firebelly frogs. I knew right then there were three obvious problems, the mixing of species, the low water depth (paddletails are full aquatic) and the aggressiveness of the paddletails b/c I currently own two. As I continued to look at the newts I noticed that 97% of them had bumps or tiny circular gashes sporadically located on their body. They were all alert and seemed fine other than that. I'm interested in purchasing a few more paddletails b/c they make great pets but I'm concerned about these bumps. Is it a fungus or a reaction to the frogs toxins? I don't think they are fighting marks because they are very tiny. It almost looks like they have a bad case of acne lol. Some had the gashes/bumps on their heads but most were located on their back and tail region. Has anyone seen things of this nature before or know what it is? Thanks. ;]

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back