Fungus?! Please Help!

Delaney

Reaction score
Country
United States
What is this? Showed up after 20% water change.

Attachments

• 20210107_195915.jpg
    20210107_195915.jpg
    971.8 KB · Views: 116
Last edited:
That is definitely fungus. How old is your axolotl? And what are your tank parameters, including volume of water and temperature, please.

Oh and I would do more than 20% water change. I do about 50% at least once a week, and once a month I do a 75% water change. I take my axolotl out and put her in clean water, and she just chills with an air stone and some food while I clean. I went through a bad gill fungus with her in October and she came out well, but we had to do salt baths. I do not recommend you jump straight to that. Patience first, then bigger volume water changes, and if there is no improvement, perhaps a salt bath regiment. Again, DO NOT DO THAT YET. If your little guy doesn't improve in like a month, I can help you with the salt bath thing, I did it for a whole week. I've cried a lot in my life, but that week was one of the hardest weeks. You really gotta be careful cuz it is not pleasant.

That is definitely fungus. How old is your axolotl? And what are your tank parameters, including volume of water and temperature, please.

Oh and I would do more than 20% water change. I do about 50% at least once a week, and once a month I do a 75% water change. I take my axolotl out and put her in clean water, and she just chills with an air stone and some food while I clean. I went through a bad gill fungus with her in October and she came out well, but we had to do salt baths. I do not recommend you jump straight to that. Patience first, then bigger volume water changes, and if there is no improvement, perhaps a salt bath regiment. Again, DO NOT DO THAT YET. If your little guy doesn't improve in like a month, I can help you with the salt bath thing, I did it for a whole week. I've cried a lot in my life, but that week was one of the hardest weeks. You really gotta be careful cuz it is not pleasant.
Hello,
My axolotl is about 7 months old, I think.
20 gallons
Temp: 61.4
pH: 7
Ammonia tests say, 'Safe'

I didn't know if this was fungus because I thought the water I added was too warm compared to his existing water and caused his slime coat to react.

But as I look at him right now, I do see some build up on one of his gills.

I do have accurate parameter tests coming in the mail right now, as well as a sponge filter. Side question, how do you cycle a new filter into your existing tank?

After my first post, I sat and watched him swim around, I noticed some BRAND we spots on his back. But after a few more hours, all of the spots disappeared. Now I'm afraid again because I see a new splotch.

Ok, first, you have a normal sponge filter in there right now? The way cycling with that works is like this, and bear with me on this...

1 - fill tank with water, add sponge filter. 2 - over the next 30ish days the process will begin. 3 - axolotl will produce ammonia, filter will slowly convert ammonia to nitrites. 4 - filter will slowly convert nitrites into nitrates. 5 - nothing can be done for nitrates other than a water change.

Again, this takes at least a month and is probably the most dangerous time for an axolotl. it is not advised for them to live in there. If you are not home constantly, you will come home from a bad day at work and you will be mourning your axolotl. IF you do cycle the tank with your axolotl in, I HOPE you can stay home and watch them the whole time. I was laid off from work so I stayed right by my girl, only leaving to go to the store.

Do you own an API Fresh Water Master test kit? It is a miracle kit, practically. The tests are easy to do, directions are easy to follow, and it is much more accurate than test strips. You just gotta be careful to not have any of the actual test fluid end up in the tank or on your skin, some of them burn. I suck up the appropriate amount of water with a clean syringe my mom got from her vet practice and then take the tests into the kitchen, far from my axolotl. That way, God forbid, if I spill, I can only hurt myself. I have yet to be burned though because I am cautious.

Another thing to notice, if it is gill fungus, your axolotl will try to scratch its gills like a dog scratching its ears. That's like the big one, you see that, you know something's irritating your axolotl. Mine has a nasty habit of burying herself and getting sand in her gills that usually requires me to help her out a bit.

Would you be able to post more photos? Like, showing off the whole tank and your axolotl from all angles, if they will cooperate. Gill fungus is totally treatable and super scary for the owner, which is then scary for the pet.

OH and if you see ANY of the fungus come off, get it out of that. I use a turkey baster to suck up old food, bathroom waste, and I used it to suck up the fungus back when mine has fighting it off.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back