Future endeavor

andyoconnor83

Reaction score
Country
United States
I know of a VERY reliable place for large larvae, and terrestrial adults and plan on going back eventually and collecting one, or possible two terrestrial adults. I saw that paris mentioned a 50 gal. would that be enough for a 1.1 pair, not that i plan on them breeding, but just for space sake? has anyone that DOES keep them ever had problems with the adults not eating? I caught one like 8 years ago and tried keeping it for a short term and it refused crickets and pinkies (the only available food sources to me at the time) and I knew little bout them until i started reading up on them about 3 years ago. here's a couple pics of an adult and one of a large netonic adult i found on july 14th.

alanasgone1191.jpg

alanasgone121.jpg

alanasgone112.jpg

alanasgone057.jpg

I'm keeping a couple of D. ensatus, they seem to be doing fine on dusted crickets and an occasional pinky mouse. Did you past non-feeder have plenty of cover? Stress may have been an issue.

that was probably the issue, I did not know what i was doing at the time. what size enclosures are you keeping yours in and are you doing a natural paludarium type or something more simple? thanks for the reply. would slugs from outside be available if i knew them to not have been around pesticides? some literature i have says they are fond of banana slugs but i saw a video once of one eating a banana slug and getting its mouth glued shut and it didn't seem to be good...

I can't believe I am asking such noob questions as i am very advanced with reptiles, but oh well, i want the right information well before i try to keep any of these awesome caudates.

Currently I keep 2 in a Tupperware container, I'd guess it's about 20x36x8. They are on medium pine bark nuggets with a couple of large pieces of curved pine bark for cover. There are limited vent holes to keep the humidity up. I plan on putting them in a more naturalistic set-up eventually.

Those are some awesome salamanders! Once you find a good reliable spot its really fun. Check out the salamanders I caught. How long did it take you to find a good spot? It took me two years.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back