Gammarus lacustris Safe to feed FBN?

Holding2k9

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I recently came across a small stream close to my home today , and despite nothing thriving there before i came across a large family of Gammarus lacustris (Freshwater Shrimp) . I was wondering if these could possibly work as live food , to vary my newts diet...
also if they shrimps would breed to constantly keep a diet cycle?

Should not be an issue, if your newts will eat them. In my experience, some animals are picky eaters when it comes to...well...crunchy foods.

You will need to quarantine any for 30 days, from my understanding they can carry parasites or diseases not good for caudates.

Good luck with them, I've tried and failed 3 times to keep some in a tank. I wish I could keep them, they're interesting little creatures to watch despite the fact they're going to be food!

Excelent food, but as already mentioned, wild specimens are vectors for parasites. I´m trying to breed them to have a suply of healthy Gammarus....i personally would never use wild caught ones for the risk of transmission of disease.

Thank you all for your comments and i have come to a conclusion not to catch them.
My reasons for this is that the stream where i have found them never really had any life and it was considered dirty. With this in mind the shrimp may carry some of the dirty bacterium from the stream , and i cannot risk potential outburst of disease upon my C.orientalis.

Thanks Everyone

Tom

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back