Garden Slugs

Hey, Johnny, I tried this after you posted it last time and it didn't work for me. :(
That is very odd to hear. Have your night time temperatures been on the cool side? Has it been very dry up there this year? I am averaging 50 slugs a night with this method. I find Budweiser works best.

Some videos are worth more than 1000 words:
http://www.caudata.org/forum/showthread.php?t=62072

Nothing says it better than voracious caudates destroying invertebrate vermin for lunch!

The problem is what to do with the extra beer....
Chip

I have fed slugs to my turtles and Blue Tongues skinks before but the slime that slugs secrete can prove a problem for alot of animals. The slime works to propell slugs but also is it's defense. I use to just throw the slugs I caught into boiling water for 10 seconds. This cooked the slug and then I would just wipe off any cooked slime and drop them in my turtle tank. I would think you could also just drop them in front of your axies or hold them in front of your Tiger Salamander until they grab the cooked slug. Please let the slug cool down before you feed it to your animals.

I find that the slime is only a problem if the slug is relatively big for the animal. My dobrogicus, since they have narrow mouths sometimes have a little trouble eating slugs.
I agree that feeding garden slugs is a very risky business. I only feed to my animals the ones i collect in what i expect are safe places(forested areas outside the city and suchlike). I really think for people who have gardens, culturing them is the best option.

I collected about a dozen small slugs and fed them to all my axies and the frog, they all loved them. I've never fed them slugs before. I collected them from a nearby woodland/park area, so I believe them to be free of any nasties.

Nothing says it better than voracious caudates destroying invertebrate vermin for lunch!
I love voracius animals, and fire salamanders are hungry all the time, jejeje. I love the genus S. salamandra, I want to have all subspecies in the future. I only have 3 juvies of S. s. salamandra for now, but also I´m going to reserve an adult breeding pair of S. s. terrestris and a few S. s. gallaica juvies, to be sent after summer to avoid any risk with this heat. Of course CB.

I have to ask if someone knows were to find slugs of different species? i have search around all over the place but can only find one online shop who have a species(dartfrog in UK) unfortunally they are out of stock and have been for a while now:/

I just cant understand wy it is so hard to find, so if someone have a culture at home and slugs over Please seend me some.

Regards.

Place a few adult slugs in a terrarium and you will have babies in no time.... I have done it and they feed my juvenile marbled newt... he adores them....
I have a question though, what is the nutritional aspect of a slug? Are they calcium rich?
Thanks
Francois

I use banana slugs(big yellow ones)near me and my guys have only eaten them twice. It's worth a shot, though!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back