Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Gastrotheca riobambae

earthtiger

Reaction score
The next show in Hamm is 8th of June. After that, there is one in September and one in December. Let me now, if you will come to the next show or the one in September, and I will bring you minimum one male.

How big is your "too big" female?

I am also of the option, that most people keep their Gastrotheca riobambae too warm and a cold period might be a trigger to get them to reproduce.
I have raised the males at temps below and at max arround 20C. They could be bigger at this age, if I would have power fed and raised them at higher temps, but I think "low & slow" is better for this species.

all the best,
Martin

Niels D

Reaction score
I'll let you know when I will be there. Really want to come, because it's always a big expo. I totally agree with you on keeping them cold and raising them with low temps, though growth rate will decrease. My animals have experienced pretty cold winter temperatures which sometimes got to 10C. They kept on eating, though the male croaked less than in the summer. Kept them a little dryer as well.

earthtiger

Reaction score
Hi,

yesterday evening I took a look at my Gastrotheca riobambae and to my joy, I discovered the following:

Gastrotheca%20riobambae%20DSC01857.JPG

This morning at 6.00 am, nothing happened so far: they where still sitting in amplexus in the same place as the evening before. At 7.30 am it looked like this (IMO the hind legs of the male where positioned a bit differently):

Gastrotheca%20riobambae%20DSC01863.JPG

In the evening (±8.00 pm), they where in process doing the following:

Gastrotheca%20riobambae%20DSC01869.JPG

It is a different male (and female) as the ones in the photos above. But as the one from last time, also dropping some eggs on the ground. Let's see, in the end how many he does not manage to push in the pouch of the female.

kind regards,
Martin

earthtiger

Reaction score
Hi,

some more photos from yesterday evening, after they have finished the packing process:

Gastrotheca%20riobambae%20DSC01875.JPG

The freshly stuffed female:

Gastrotheca%20riobambae%20DSC01881.JPG

Gastrotheca%20riobambae%20DSC01882.JPG

This time, I only could find about 30 spilled eggs.

kind regards,
Martin

xxianxx

Reaction score
This is a very old thread. You guys still about ? I just picked up ten of this frog uk cb. Usefull info thanks.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1