GBR Press: Newt For Hearty Eaters {Excerpts}

Oh My god! Who the sod would eat that! Its Pure evil! I am absolutely outraged!

A bit of an over reaction don't you think? I doubt anyone would go to the trouble of even trying to find enough newts to make a pie, let alone try and replicate the recipe, as i'm sure was the case way back then. No doubt, a few hundred years from now, people will have similar reactions to some of the modern day recipes we eat on a regular basis (at least in some parts of the country), sheep's intestines (sausage skins), sheep's neck, ox tail, pigs trotters etc. Not to mention the very Scottish haggis!

Is the newt tongue pie made from just newt tongues, or is it whole newts? I can't imagine that you could make a substantial pie out of any newt body part unless you killed hundreds. We already destroy their habitats, spread their diseases, and house their predators, the last thing we need to do is eat them. On the other hand, if their was a commercial incentive for newt breeding outside of the pet trade, it might benefit certain species.

*Cough* Maybe a little but i still think its horribly cruel.

Hey, I don't think they're talking about actual newt tongues. Remember Shakespeare's
"Eye of newt, and toe of frog,
Wool of bat, and tongue of dog"?
Well, these were older, alternative descriptive terms for herbs.
Supposedly (according to one source, anyway)(here's the source: www.brigids-haven.com/bos/herbs/translations.html).
"Eye of Newt" is mustard seed. Both are teeny little specks. There is a plant, Stachys, which you gardeners out there may also know as "Lamb's Ear" because it's as soft as a little lambie's ear.
So don't worry about the little newts! Their tongues and eyes are intact!

See also: www.bewitchingways.com/updates/Columns/archives/000039.html
or just google "eye of newt."

Thats a good point actually, Well i hope it is like that xxxx

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back