Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

gender?

axolotl nerd

Reaction score
this is my (soon to be) nine month old, mudkip. i’ve been referring to him as male and am honestly hoping he is, but i can’t tell if he’s just too young to know for sure yet. thought i’d ask all of you :)
6B219C28-F4F7-4DEE-A967-9B981DA99DE9.jpeg
7BEAC7AD-EF63-4C8D-BD8F-8AC78CC2550A.jpeg

Chak

Reaction score
Looks to be female to me. He/she has been old enough to be gendered for a while now. I honestly don't think she's a male but hey, I have a female that the breeder thought was a male. Then she laid eggs.

GulfCoastAxolotls

Reaction score
this is my (soon to be) nine month old, mudkip. i’ve been referring to him as male and am honestly hoping he is, but i can’t tell if he’s just too young to know for sure yet. thought i’d ask all of you :)
View attachment 87662View attachment 87663
body shape and everything would appear to be a female, but it could still be too soon to tell.

axolotl nerd

Reaction score
Looks to be female to me. He/she has been old enough to be gendered for a while now. I honestly don't think she's a male but hey, I have a female that the breeder thought was a male. Then she laid eggs.
must have been a real surprise !!

GulfCoastAxolotls

Reaction score
you can’t know for sure until about 18 months, right ?
generally speaking, yea. some males do show a lot sooner than that. Ive had boys that were very obvious by even 6 months old. Females are a little harder to tell sometimes and can't be 100% confirmed until they actually lay eggs. Id say its probably 80% you have a female based on the general body shape I'm seeing.

axolotl nerd

Reaction score
generally speaking, yea. some males do show a lot sooner than that. Ive had boys that were very obvious by even 6 months old. Females are a little harder to tell sometimes and can't be 100% confirmed until they actually lay eggs. Id say its probably 80% you have a female based on the general body shape I'm seeing.
good to know :)

axolotl nerd

Reaction score
better picture? looks a bit bigger here

honestly just hoping s/he’s male so i can breed ;)

714D1763-EFED-4EE4-B319-84F33CDDBE88.jpeg

axolotl nerd

Reaction score
am i just going insane hoping he’s male or is it possible? snagged these pics while s/he was floating

F6B4836B-5C56-4B2D-BC7A-9B7A4F7C68E6.jpeg

apologies for poor quality and the side of my face as well as my art ipad in the background lol
C830B50E-9FB0-4BDA-BC83-0F083316B7A2.jpeg

axolotl nerd

Reaction score
Starting to look male. If you want you can place him/her in with a female and see if they do a mating dance (If they're both old enough to breed)
when i get the females this summer i intend to :)

axolotl nerd

Reaction score
although i’ve heard axolotls aren’t picky and can do mating dances despite being the same gender - maybe we’ll never know lol

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!