Genetics/Colours - My batch

Rick Douglass

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Hi there
There is a lot of discussion on here about colour variations coming from certain parents so I though that I would add my latest batch results.

Father - Gold Albino (Parents- Unsure)
Mother - Dark Wild Type (Parents - Unsure)

Currently have about 200 babies (23days old - all with front legs - 30mm approx)

Approx
20 Leucistics (White with black eyes with eye ring)
20 Melanoid (Black with black eyes no eye ring)
160 Wild Type.

There was actually one white albino as well but it died in the first week
Thanks
Rick

OK, so it's obvious that both the parents carry a melanoid gene and a leucistic gene. Your wildtype doesn't carry an albino gene though.

So your adults are:
Albino male: D/d M/m a/a Ax/-
Wildtype female: D/d M/m A/A Ax/-

You will also find a few of your leucistic lack iridophores eye rings if you look closely, but not many. I doubt the white albino baby was actually a white albino, possible an odd genetic anomaly hence its failure to thrive.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back