get rid of brown algae with API algaefix?

SamAxolotl

Reaction score
Country
United States
I've got some brown algae in my axolotl's tank and I clean it whenever I see it but it just keeps coming back. I'm wondering if API algaefix is safe for axolotls?

also, thoughts on getting a few nerite snails for the tank? I think they could be really beneficial in helping clean up algae and preventing it in the future. I'm also thinking since they'll stick on the glass and plants that the axolotl might not bother or notice them.

Since your axolotl may eat your plants, (mine did) you should make sure that the chemicals in the API algaefix are safe for aquaria. Snails produce a lot of waste, so make sure you have a good filter and syphon ready. I sure hope your axolotl will be alright!
PS: do NOT think of getting an algae-eating fish for the tank. While they will clean the tank, there is a strong chance they will bite your axolotl, trying to eat algae off it. Since axolotls do not have protective scales, this will harm it badly.

upon further research I've decided against API algaefix; however, I am still curious if anyone has used snails with axies before!

small soft shelled snails are ok but i'd be wary about nerite snails in case they get swallowed. the only problem with most soft shelled species though is that once you have a few snails you then have lots of snails.
scud shrimp (Hyalella azteca) are also quite good for cleaning as well.

You could use ghost shrimp but you'll need to replace them in case Axolotl gets hungry. Read a thread on here in which a guy at a pet store recommended an algaecide to someone and their Axolotl went into different contorted positions then died.

Brown algae are rarely a permanent problem.
As algae, they need various nutrients. Adding lots of fast-growing aquatic plants is usually efficient to limit (but not eradicate) all algae.
If your brown algae are Diatoms (thin brown layer on the tank glasses), they may be favoured by an excess of silicium in the water.

So idk if anyone cares, but thought I'd post an update anyway lol
I've managed to scrub the brown algae (fairly certain it is diatoms, but I'm no algae expert) off of my artificial plants. I did end up getting two mystery snails for my tank to help keep the algae in check. My axolotl has no interest in them at all. He was curious about them at first and booped one last night, but since them he basically has no idea they exist. they seem to be doing their job well and they're cute!

So idk if anyone cares, but thought I'd post an update anyway lol
I've managed to scrub the brown algae (fairly certain it is diatoms, but I'm no algae expert) off of my artificial plants. I did end up getting two mystery snails for my tank to help keep the algae in check. My axolotl has no interest in them at all. He was curious about them at first and booped one last night, but since them he basically has no idea they exist. they seem to be doing their job well and they're cute!
keep an eye on them though, because of the size if he does eat one it could cause issues.
as with most things concerning axolotls there are some that say mystery snails are ok with axolotls and others that disagree, having only had experience with axolotls and smaller species of snail I couldn't say either way although it might be worthwhile looking into the subject.

keep an eye on them though, because of the size if he does eat one it could cause issues.
as with most things concerning axolotls there are some that say mystery snails are ok with axolotls and others that disagree, having only had experience with axolotls and smaller species of snail I couldn't say either way although it might be worthwhile looking into the subject.
Of course, I check them frequently. My axie is fairly small and I made sure to get larger snails that are too big for him to swallow if he does ever notice them (which I doubt he will since the snails move very slowly and he's not a good hunter lol) . if they ever reproduce, I be sure to place small snails in a different aquarium.

Final update on here in case anyone is considering mystery snails for algae.
It was so worth it! I paid probably too much for my snails, but they have done an incredible job of clearing up the tank! My glass and water have never been cleaner. Only downside is that they poop a LOT so I'm cleaning the tank almost daily. Other than that, they're totally worth it and much safer than chemicals.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back