Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Getting confused (huh-getting?!)

K

kristen

Hello. I grew up in Northern CA where the green bulgy eyed, orange slick skinned newts were plentiful in the backyard (we lived in the foothills with a lot of trees, yard waste piles, etc.) and now I learn that these are Vulgaris, known in pet shops as "Oregon newts". Ironically, I now live in Oregon and cannot find any creatures fitting this description online. I'm afraid it is impossible to go searching up in the parks with two young kids, one of whom is autistic and will (has!) thro herself in any stream, waterfall, or rushing half frozen river within a mile radius. Also, I don't want to capture one-seems unkind. I just want one for my wife and myself, to be honest. Pet stores are evil-I know that from experience, Mark Reid's Vulagaris' are gone. If I get a response about vulgaris pygmaes or Jenny's newt, could they still thrive in a set-up for what I thought would be so easy to get? Any help would be greatly appreciated. I'm obviously a novice, just grew up loving those bulgy eyed fellows and have waited until I could afford proper set-up. Kristen

M

mark

I'm a bit confused as to what species you are referring to. Taricha granulosa - the rough skinned newt is commonly sold in pet stores as "Oregon newt." Vulgaris - Triturus vulgaris, the smooth newt, comes from Europe thus it is obviously not the species you are thinking about. I personally never offered either of these species, you must be thinking of someone else.

As for the rest of your post, I am not quite sure I understand... perhaps you could explain a bit more clearly what your question is.

Mark

J

jennifer

I too find this post very hard to understand. It seems oddly incomprehensible coming from a writing instructor. What information exactly are you looking for?

The statement "I don't want to capture one-seems unkind" seems rather contradictory. If you obtain one, it has to be captured by someone from somewhere. To find one that was captive-bred is exceedingly rare.

These links might help:
http://www.caudata.org/cc/species/Taricha/T_granulosa.shtml
http://www.caudata.org/cc/faq/faq.shtml

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1